A bit of a shameless plug.

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/27873116/the-gift-of-dog-rescue.htm

My wife and I are volunteers for this rescue organizaion...
We foster some of the rescues and we halp if any need anemergency pickup and transfer.

Bichons are great companion dogs... no, they won't jump in the Bay and get a duck for you. Some of the things that weren't mentioned in the video...
Bichons don't shed, they are "hypo allergenic"... They do need to be "groomed" a couple of times a year.
They rarely get to be over 25# so they are good dogs for folks who live where there are size limits for dogs.

Unfortunatly, yesterday my wife and I had to perform the unpleasant duty/responsibility that every dog owner has to their dog, i.e., we had to put one of our rescues down.
Sparky was a Bichon/Maltese mix that my wife and I rescued out of a shelter in NY. He was our first foster...a "failed foster" in some respect, in that we ended up adopting him ourselves! Sparky was quite old, somewhere between 14 and 20 years of age when we had to help him to "doggy heaven"...
While only 12# he was a very faithfull and fierce companion and followed me all over the house, assuming the "guard dog" position at the door to that room. He will be missed.

Please take the time to look at the video and if any of you decide to adopt a dog thru Small Paws, I'll be glad to send you a "Ribber City Sauce Co" Gift basket.

While I am doing shameless plugs... If any of you are tired of "Corporate Veterinary" clinics, try "Coastal Veterinary" in Seaside Heights... Dr. Fritz Mc Hugh DVM 732-793-1104. He really cares about his patients...and their owners.
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders, Seaside Park, NJ