Tiderunner, Bsusk, BillStratton, 111, TBTFW
6808 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189679 - 01/14/14 04:00 PM Wreck of the Month Club
James Gang Offline
Sponsor & Charter Captain

Loc: FORKED RIVER, NJ
In February, I am going to start a wreck of the month Club. Each month, I will list a Wreck Name with distance from Barnegat Inlet, Heading, Water Depth, How it lies, Best time of year to fish, and species you can expect to catch.

I will set the cost for a set of accurate GPS numbers by the popularity of the wreck and distance offshore. Less known spots and those farther offshore will be more expensive. If you want the numbers, send me a PM with your email address, and I will send an invoice via Paypal.

When I receive payment, the numbers will be forwarded to you. In some cases, multiple sets of GPS numbers will be sent which will give you the layout of the wreck on the bottom. You can head offshore with confidence and know that you will not be spending time and burning fuel looking for wrecks.

JT

When asked where did we catch the fish, it's always in the same place, the lip.....

Sponsor R.F.A

#189723 - 01/16/14 09:53 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: James Gang]
Angler Paul Offline
Captain

Loc: Clifton, New Jersey
That is an interesting idea but I have mixed emotions. On one hand I would not want the word to get out on some of my "secret wrecks". After all I did put in many years of searching for them and learning when and where to fish the more productive ones. However, on the other hand I certainly would like to learn of some new "secret wrecks" that I do not have good numbers for.

#189724 - 01/16/14 11:20 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Angler Paul]
James Gang Offline

Paul, I have the same mixed emotions. I have spent over 30 years looking for wrecks. I find myself constantly looking for new spots because I like the challenge of finding new locations.

I just checked my wreck book, and it totals about 250 locations between Sandy Hook and Beach Haven. I couldn't fish 20% of them in a season if I wanted to. I remember the 1st wreck that I found back in 1984, it was the Chaparra. For 2 years, it was the only wreck that I fished. I haven't been to that spot in about 5 years.

My thought process was to help some of the younger guys that want to start in this fishery find some spots that I just do not go to anymore. But the more feedback I get from guys that have put in their time and money to locate these spots, I am having second thoughts. My overlooked locations could be someone else's go to spot.

Still thinking about this before acting. Thanks for your input.

When asked where did we catch the fish, it's always in the same place, the lip.....

Sponsor R.F.A

#189725 - 01/17/14 06:28 AM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: James Gang]
Reef Rat Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Toms River, USA
Capt. John, I think I'm kinda with Paul on this one.. Just too easy for someone to pay for solid numbers.. One of the best things about wreck fishing is finding a quality wreck yourself.. Just my opinion... John

#189727 - 01/17/14 08:27 AM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Reef Rat]
Little Ricky Offline

Loc: Pa
I think its a great idea.For one it can help all parties on all ends for the better.Save money for the person looking for wrecks in gas for one.......but again I can go to any number but its how to fish the wrecks is the key. Just my 2 cents.

#189729 - 01/17/14 10:09 AM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: James Gang]
Jerseybred Offline

Loc: Bayville, NJ
[quote=James GangMy overlooked locations could be someone else's go to spot. [/quote]

I don't believe there are really any "secrets" out there, somebody knows. Any real secrets are still secrets. Finding wrecks is in this sport is a right of passage.
There are plenty of wreck charts, books and lists, some actually fairly good, most not so as they're conversions from poor to begin with TD's.
Larger wrecks such as the Chaparra, San Saba, Gulftrade,[bow & stern], Viscaya, Persephone, Mildred, Sea Hag, Cassoon, Mohawk, Delaware, Resor, Stolt, Maurice Tracy, Crane barge, Double East, NW Barges, etc. are pretty well known. I'm leaving out pages of smaller wrecks/snags which are often thought of someone's "secret".
The offshore wrecks is where it really begins to get ":xxx: out with a charter and find a couple boats already there or the wreck fished off? There's good reason why the "code" is what it is and has been in this sport since before our time.

#189741 - 01/17/14 05:20 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Jerseybred]
Njlou Offline
First Mate

Loc: Bayville, N.J.
I see no problem selling some numbers to help some fellow Barnegat Fishing Hole members. He isn't putting all these numbers in a book and selling it to whoever, and he should charge for the numbers because he broke his balls finding these wrecks.
I for one started fishing from a boat late in life and I don't have a lifetime to get some good spots, and a couple of wrecks bought for me would be a great help.
Whatever you decide J.T. I'm sure you will do with everyone in mind and I'm sure it's not about money. I'm with you either way.

Lou

#189745 - 01/17/14 06:12 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Njlou]
John's Joy Offline

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
I'd rather jump onboard one of your double anchoring lessons and fishing trips that you offered last season John.
Fish Hawks - Forked River, NJ
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders - Seaside NJ

#189749 - 01/18/14 10:34 AM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Njlou]
Jerseybred Offline

Loc: Bayville, NJ
[quote=Njlou]he should charge for the numbers because he broke his balls finding these wrecks.
/quote]

Not necessarily and the Capt. knows where I'm coming from. Remember I mentioned EARNED trust and respect from other Capts.?

If not about the $$ and just wanting to help new fisher's, why not just publish his book here in the wreck forum? Every experienced long time Capt. has earned their "book", you think it's only this Capt. that "broke his balls"?

#189751 - 01/18/14 12:20 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Jerseybred]
Out Cast Offline
First Mate

Loc: NJ
Why is it such a big deal? Like u said there is no secret out there so why not give everyone a chance to catch some fish and not waste their time out there? He didn't say he was giving away small snags or anything, might just be numbers in and around reef, that's a start. You get a newbie on some fish and learn about wrecks, I bet if he posted numbers too wrecks offshore that no one had I bet everyone wouldn't have a problem writing them down , what's the difference anyway. I anchor on a wreck and have a dozen boats pull up hit m.o.b. on their chartplotter and leave it a no win situation, especially dive boats. I almost got ran over on sansaba by the Dena D. I was fishing having a good time and it pulled 5 ft from my bow, almost hit my boat because they schedule a dive for that wreck and that's were they are diving no matter what. If there were no kids on that boat they would've gotten a boarded :xxx: whooping. Some divers have no respect for fisherman... not all I'm not saying they are all bad just to clarify. There is a website that has all divers schedule for wrecks including offshore so all u have to do is sit there and wait for them and there u have it, an offshore wreck so there really are no secrets. Just my two cents, not intended to offend.

Edited by Out Cast (01/18/14 01:02 PM)

#189752 - 01/18/14 12:49 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Out Cast]
Njlou Offline
First Mate

Loc: Bayville, N.J.
That's my point, all you have to do is follow someone, or mark down the numbers when you see them anchored, is that how you earn it? Whatever.

#189756 - 01/18/14 01:24 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Njlou]
Out Cast Offline
First Mate

Loc: NJ
I earned quite a few wrecks searching and had some handed to me by a good friend. I see nothing wrong giving a few or selling whatever it is to let some guys with their kids go out and have a good time catching fish. I think there should be no hate towards it I had guys pull up to me while wreck fishing and we have a good time talking back to each other... then u got guys that will curse u out for coming near them while on a wreck. We can't have all the fish for ourselves. I've seen posts from guys who don't even know where the reef is. It will be great for them to have a few numbers for a guaranteed good day on the water. If he was only to do it for a year 1 wreck a month that's 12 wrecks that are probably well known reef numbers or around reef.

#189757 - 01/18/14 03:20 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Out Cast]
James Gang Offline

I have shared more wreck numbers with fellow Charter Captains in the Forked River Area than you can imagine. I never expected to get more that a thank you in return.

One captain gave me a call over the summer when the sea bass fishing was just so-so for a week or two. We had a couple of good trips, he asked, and I rattled off 3 or 4 "secret spots" to him that he was not aware of. With that being said, I would never be concerned with any feelings of ill will based on the good karma that I have built up over the years.

I would never give out an uncharted, unknown snag obstruction since they are the ones the people had to put in hours of searching to find. Besides, many of those tiny spots require skilled double anchoring techniques to produce.

If I decide to do this, it will be very large spots that have had numbers posted in the past. Chances are, most of you guys may already have the spots. But they would be a good option to drift fish for beginners, not just for sea bass, but also for fluke.

As Out Cast mentioned, it would be only 12 out of 437 known wrecks and obstructions that are listed between Seaside and Beach Haven. It would be an alternative to fishing crowded reefs in the summer, and perfect for guys that want to introduce their kids to bottom fishing. Getting more people interested in bottom fishing will only help the guys that do wreck charters.

At least I gave everyone with Cabin Fever a little something to talk about. This site gets boring in January. smile

Edited by James Gang (01/18/14 03:30 PM)

Sponsor R.F.A

#189928 - 01/24/14 11:46 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: James Gang]
hit-n-run Offline
First Mate

Loc: \

Edited by fisherkin (01/24/14 11:50 PM)

#190018 - 01/27/14 09:04 AM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: hit-n-run]
James Gang Offline

Winnecone 39 27 398 72 45 186 on GPS Charts

Winnecone 39 26 320 72 49 990 on the 2006 Snag list above

Which one is correct? Are they both wrong? Those two sets of numbers are about 4 miles apart. Who wants to travel 67 miles or any distance for that matter to guess.

I have used the 2006 list as one of my sources of information to locate a general area of a wreck, but the numbers are not spot on. Some of these spots required hours of searching to find, and many others have not been located yet.

Sponsor R.F.A

#190104 - 01/29/14 12:00 AM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: James Gang]
Angler Paul Offline
Captain

Loc: Clifton, New Jersey
There are a lot of errors on the charts and lists. Many Lat/Long numbers were converted from TD's and we all know that in many cases that does not work well.

#190454 - 02/11/14 07:39 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: Angler Paul]
James Gang Offline

After much thought, debate, and input, I have decided to run a double anchoring instructional charter on a monthly basis. These trips will be a full extended day charter from 6:00am to 4:00pm(Offshore 5:00am to 5:00pm) that I will run on Saturdays to allow more guys to be able to make due to work obligations.

I will plan on fishing at least 3-4 different wrecks on each trip with the emphasis on covering about 20 different spots over the course of the year. All bait, tackle, lead will be included in the price, and the trips will be limited to 5 guys. In addition to getting some hands on experience, I will give each guy the numbers for the wrecks we fished that day.

I figure 6 trips over next season with 4 being inshore from 5 to 20 miles, and 2 offshore trips from 20 to 50 miles. Cost of the inshore trips will be $150 and the offshore trips $200.

First trip will be run in April to 20 mile spots which should yield cod, ling, blackfish, and winter flounder. Now that we can keep 2 winter flounder year round, it will allow me to target wrecks that have held 2-5 pound winter flounder over the last few years as an added bonus.

Two years ago we had to release a 23 inch 6 pound winter flounder that would have been a NJ State record.

JT

Edited by James Gang (02/11/14 07:44 PM)

Sponsor R.F.A

#190457 - 02/11/14 08:46 PM Re: Wreck of the Month Club [Re: James Gang]
just a fluke sr Offline
Captain

Loc: bayville nj
I want to get that flounder back!!!!! you can count me in to help if you need me JT just give me a call!!!
315 hp Yanmar diesel

Just a fluke Jr
17 ft seaswirl cc
90 hp Etec!!

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Blue and bass
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Who's Online
3 registered (Bar Hopper, Alexm225, BOB J), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6808 Members
70 Forums
33437 Topics
219182 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM