Garvey, Kathyg, DStrike, Tiderunner, Bsusk
6811 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83962 - 12/14/08 05:34 PM outboard service seminars
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
i offer outboard and stern drive service seminars-that's how i found this site,a few of the guys who attended one,wrote it up here...
http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83943&gonew=1#UNREAD

http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=81593#Post81593

it was stated my class has been going around for a while now,not true...i started it in november of this year,the reason i started it was due tot he fact i see people getting terrible advice on almost a constant basis regarding servicing their engines and their boat.i thought it would be a good idea to offer a seminar concerning these things from a certified tech,you can learn the correct way.trust me guys,we could all use to save a little money right idea
i hold these seminars at my shop,in cape may court house.it's a hands on seminar,you're gonna learn by doing.i explain the idea behind it and i show you how to do it,then it's your turn.i show you how to pull the lower unit,change out the water pump,time the shifter,everything concerning this...you learn how to service the engine.we cover other topics too,as they arise and it lasts all day...i'm gonna have one more for outboards and one more for sterndrives.the stern drive seminar also shows how to pull the drive and service the drive-drives need to be pulled every year.this is also good for guys with gas inboards.
over the course of the off season,i'm gonna hold a few seminars concerning 12v systems,i'm gonna give you diagnosis techniques,wiring,how to make a water proof connection the right way,multiple batteries,installing and wiring the correct way,setting up an electrically isolated system-the correct way to have multiple batteries.how to charge multiple batteries-NOT by using "both" on the switch.we'll cover abyc codes as well.this will be an excellent course for everyone,seems like 12 systems give boat owners the most problems,so,here's your chance to learn how to do it...

if any of you guys are interested in these courses i offer,post up here and we'll set it all up.i limit the class size to 5 people,this way,you're assured to fully understand what we're doing...cool huh idea?

#83966 - 12/14/08 06:23 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: jawz]
Griff164 Offline
Commander

Loc: Forked River
Jim,what is the correct way to fog out the engine and treat the gas on a mercruiser 350 horizon MPI inboard.

#83968 - 12/14/08 06:40 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: Griff164]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: griff164
Jim,what is the correct way to fog out the engine and treat the gas on a mercruiser 350 horizon MPI inboard.

before you run the boat to the ramp or haul out,add the correct amount of stabilizer in the tanks,then fill them...

run the engine on fresh water to flush the raw water side,get the engine up to temp,compression test the engine,change the oil and filter,then,hook up your antifreeze system-use non toxic antifreeze,i use -50,i also use a pump,it's hooked to a 5 g bucket,i dump 5g in the bucket and pull the intake hose at the sea water strainer,i feed the sea water pump here...i use the air pump mounted on the heat exchanger to blow the raw water side out,pull the flame arrester on the throttle body and fire the engine up,flip the switch on the pump and spray the storage seal in the throttle body,rev the engine a few times and watch for smoke,shut it down...you're done...

personally,i don't use spray fogging oil...i use the winterize cocktail...i have a 6g portable tank,it has 5g fuel in it and 1g outboard oil,with some stabilizer added to...i pull the fuel line at the filter and hook my fuel to it,run the engine on this...merc reccomends this procedure to clean fuel injectors...

checking compression is a real important step in winterizing that engine,be sure and check the plugs for either rust spots or appearing to be "steam cleaned",both of these indicate water is entering a cylinder...

i rinse the engine in either corrosion block spray or crc when i'm done...

#83981 - 12/14/08 07:35 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: jawz]
Griff164 Offline
Commander

Thanks Jim,I take it that if I rig up a winterize cocktail tank I would not have to send fogging fluid down the throttle body,in the past no matter how much I fogging spray I dumped down the throttle body I could not get it to smoke.
As for the rest of the process I do pretty much the same as you suggested,except I have not included the compression test.

#83993 - 12/14/08 08:44 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: Griff164]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: griff164
Thanks Jim,I take it that if I rig up a winterize cocktail tank I would not have to send fogging fluid down the throttle body,in the past no matter how much I fogging spray I dumped down the throttle body I could not get it to smoke.
As for the rest of the process I do pretty much the same as you suggested,except I have not included the compression test.

absolutley correct-you won't need to use the fogging oil...

excellent !!! besure to get in the habit of compression testing the engine...

remember,the manifolds and risers don't have an unlimited life span,usually,they're good for 5yrs max,after that,you're asking for trouble...

be sure to stuff a few towells up the exhaust outlets on the transom...

i recently finished a big repair on a 246 w/a shamrock-nice rig,real easy to fish from...

i know i'm going off here,but work with me,ok...

fuel-there's a whole lot of misinformation going around concerning the new formula fuel-e10...guys are gonna tell you all soorts of wives tales,truth is,i've seen only 3 problems with the e10fuel.all 3 problems were related to the fuel dock where each boat owner purchased fuel.truth is if you had water getting into the tanks before,it's gonna be more of a problem...other than that,i don't reccomend any thing in the fuel except stabil in the winter...i do not reccomend startron,it's a waste of money...again,if you're having a problem,your problem is your boat,not the fuel you're putting in it-you need to find the source of the problem,adding all this crap to the fuel is wasting your money,repair the problem...

#84001 - 12/15/08 04:25 AM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: jawz]
Griff164 Offline
Commander

Jim,any pictures of the repair job on the 246 WA Shamrock, I'd like to see them....

#84010 - 12/15/08 09:03 AM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: Griff164]
jawz Offline
Captain

i will post 'em up later today...

#84015 - 12/15/08 09:48 AM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: jawz]
jawz Offline
Captain

ok guys...

gonna try and sneak one more seminar in before the big holiday-christmas!!!
gonna hold a service seminar on saturday,for outboards.i had only one guy show once,he got a private lesson on servicing his engine-good for him huh idea?
if anyone's interested,post it up here...thanks !

#84042 - 12/15/08 04:11 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: jawz]
Sea Smoke Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton Sq.
Jawz,

This Sat. doesn't work for me as I already have plans. I'm available any time after the holiday. Thanks and I look forward to the seminar.

#84043 - 12/15/08 04:16 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: jawz]
Sea Smoke Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton Sq.
Jawz,

This Sat. doesn't work for me as I already have plans. I'm available any time after the holiday. Thanks and I look forward to the seminar.

#84129 - 12/16/08 02:46 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: Sea Smoke]
loanfish Offline
Commander

Loc: manahawkin
After the holiday for me too
Mike

#84140 - 12/16/08 05:29 PM Re: outboard service seminars [Re: loanfish]
jawz Offline
Captain

my thoughts on this were simple...most guys are either pulling the boat this week or next,that was the reasoning for this saturday,plus,the fact i have 4 boats coming out this week,one of which is a stern drive set up...
when i have a service seminar,i need to know what everyone has for power,that way,i make sure i got the engine there at the shop,make sense ? remember,this is all hands on...

if you guys would like me to give another one after new years,no problem...anyone who wants to attend,post it up here and let me know what kind of power you have...ok idea

Edited by jawz (12/16/08 05:29 PM)

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
5/7 Fluke
Blue and bass
Black Drum
Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6811 Members
70 Forums
33451 Topics
219235 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM