Newsletter
Events
Sorry guys, nothing going on right now.
Newest Members
Bsusk, BillStratton, 111, TBTFW, Calhoun87
6807 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92049 - 04/26/09 08:31 PM these things happen to me too...
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
went out today for a well deserved day off...gonna do a little sea bass fishing with a few of my buddies...off we go,we hit the first drop,100' of water and the fish are home and they're eating !!! we limited out at this spot,all nice fish,only had 3 doggies...gotta nice cod too !!
problems began with pulling the rock hook...no wind today,so,out comes the rock hook...we had a tough time retrieving the rock hook,the chain got fouled...we finally got it out.new problem,port engine is hot,alarm is going off,shut it down...give it a few mins,fire it up,no water idea? somehow,we burned up a sea water impeller...not good !! spares are sitting on my bench,next to the trim tab hydraulic unit,i need to replace too...seems i'm like the shoemaker,i got time for everyone else's rig,except for my own...what to do idea? a 31 bertram on one engine does circles,rudders do not extend lower than the keel...and a tow rope is not an option,it will be a very cold day in h e ll,when i need help from someone-trust me on this one...
i rig up the washdown pump to feed the motor some cooling water-the engines in this rig are volvo 43 series diesels...off we go,long run home at 10kts...
check out the pictures...funny stuff...

this is big mike,he volounteered to be the holder of the hose...

#92132 - 04/27/09 06:05 PM Re: these things happen to me too... [Re: jawz]
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
here's a little update here...

ran over,swapped out both impellers again,these were new when i dropped the boat in...dropped another set on the boat as spares and installed the hydraulic unit for the tabs...woo woo !!!! we're back in buisness again !!! read to roll !!!

#92137 - 04/27/09 06:48 PM Re: these things happen to me too... [Re: jawz]
jim Offline
Captain

Loc: berlin n.j.
Good thinking Jimmy. I got one for you. I had a 56 Ford Crown Vic back in the day that would not return oil to the sump on one bank. Bought a manual windshield washer from Pep Boys, filled the bag with motor oil, ran the hose to the top of the valve cover and put the bulb to pump it on the floor next to the gas petal. When the valves started to clatter just pumped the bulb and sent the oil to the valves. Lasted about 6 months till the motor terminated. Nice catch by the way.

Do you know Jimmy G. from the Blue Angle? He's got a 31 Bert as well. I know you Bert guys are as thick as theives. Almost as bad as Whaler guys.

Edited by jim (04/27/09 06:50 PM)
"Be careful with your immigration laws. We were careless with ours

#92140 - 04/27/09 07:16 PM Re: these things happen to me too... [Re: jim]
Retriever Online   content
Captain

Loc: Island Heights, NJ
That was a chronic problem on that era Ford V8s. Friend of mine had a boat with twin Fords and I spent one Saturday morning in the mid 60s installing the "kit" that was available back then to solve the problem on both banks of both engines.
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders, Seaside Park, NJ

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
1 registered (Retriever), 92 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33430 Topics
219151 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM