Newsletter
Events
Sorry guys, nothing going on right now.
Newest Members
Bsusk, BillStratton, 111, TBTFW, Calhoun87
6807 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93113 - 05/07/09 09:05 AM Dogfish regulations.
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
While talking to a bait shop owner recently about dogfish regulations, it got me thinking I better get all this straight. Did you know there were regulations on smooth dogfish? Try and find a clear answer to this. I dare you. I tried.

I finally got in touch with Roy Williams of the State of Delaware Department of Natural Resources. As we speak, Mr. Williams is at week long shark hearing, being held by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. One of the topics of the hearing is the current and future management of smooth dogfish. Mr. Williams wrote:

The smooth dogfish is not subject to the seasonal restrictions. The proposed daily catch limits are one per boat and one per person on the boat for a total of 5 if there are 4 persons on the boat. For shore fishermen the limit is 2 smooths per day. However, today the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission initiated action to delete this species from the shark plan and deal with the species in a separate addendum. This addendum won't be approved until August at the earliest. My recommendation,, is to delete smooth dogfish from our proposed regulation for now. I will send you details after I return to the office.

So, there's no seasonal restrictions but there are actually restrictions in place. Even though this is Delaware, it's my understanding that NJ is subject to this in order to be in compliance with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission regs. In February, a proposal was made by the ASMFC to remove any regulations on smooth dogfish for recreational fishermen. However, according to Mr. Williams, this most likely will not be voted and approved and on the books until August 1st. How do they come up with this stuff?

The other question is: Do they have to be 48" like other regulated shark species? That's a big smooth dogfish.

If anyone has anything clearer on this, feel free to enlighten us because as usual, these regulations are very confusing.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#93114 - 05/07/09 09:08 AM Re: Dogfish regulations. [Re: garbagefish.com]
Sean Offline
Commander

Loc: Lincoln Park and Bayville
Who would of thought.

#93310 - 05/08/09 06:31 PM Re: Dogfish regulations. [Re: Sean]
Applejacks Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Barnegat, NJ
I don't think anyone really took the time to research this thru! Brian has brought a new meaning to garbage fish and now this is in the lime-light! I know I can't wait to fry me up a doggie! (well, not so sure about that one!) Good point though. Is there a limit on skate? Or Robins? Hmmmmmmm?

#93339 - 05/08/09 11:10 PM Re: Dogfish regulations. [Re: Applejacks]
Pacman Offline
Captain

Loc: Vineland/Waretown, NJ
I'm pretty sure that in the NJ regulations it says...except dogfish, when they're talking about sharks.

I'll see if I can find it.

#93341 - 05/08/09 11:17 PM Re: Dogfish regulations. [Re: Pacman]
Pacman Offline
Captain

Loc: Vineland/Waretown, NJ
Here's a link to the regs...it's about half-way down on page 12.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2009/digmar11-19.pdf

#93355 - 05/09/09 10:03 AM Re: Dogfish regulations. [Re: Pacman]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
Good call Pacman. I didn't see that. The owner of a shop in Manahawkin told me there was a 48" minimum on dogfish and I was pretty surprised to hear that. Your research clear that up. But, it's just another example of it being hard to find out what's what. I know this isn't fluke or striper, but if it's got regs. let us know and make it clear. Still unsure as to the outcome of the hearing/meeting last week but I'll hopefully have some clue by this week. Bottom line, there doesn't seem to be a minimum size on dogs and as I understand - it's 2 per surf fishermen and 1 per boat fisherman - and an extra per boat. Again, how do they come up with this stuff? In talking with these folks, I now realize it's totally predicated on what a panel of a select few people decide - based on very questionable research - and the pressure put on by certain political influences. The politics of garbage fish is friggin' fascinating.

Hey Pacman - when you fry up your dog - give us your recipe and I'll send you a sticker.

Brian
garbagefish.com

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
3 registered (Gene H, ahab, Schleprock), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33428 Topics
219145 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM