6807 Registered Users
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89630 - 03/25/09 07:20 AM Tournament?
Polar Dan Offline
First Mate

Loc: Seaside Park
Brian, How about a Garbagefish.com tourny? All of my fishing partners think it is a good idea.

Had skate last Friday at Pisces in Toms River and it was great.

-Dan
DuraNautic 16 30hp

#89648 - 03/25/09 09:55 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Polar Dan]
Sean Offline
Commander

Loc: Lincoln Park and Bayville
Did you cook them up?

#89670 - 03/25/09 01:37 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Sean]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

Loc: new jersey
I think Pisces in Toms River did

President barack hussein obama on new rules of engagment.

#89688 - 03/25/09 06:20 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: usmc1]
Polar Dan Offline
First Mate

Loc: Seaside Park
I went to Pisces for dinner. Great fish market but also a great restaurant. They had skate wings on the menu in a lemon caper sauce and they were really, really good.

What about a tourny?

-Dan
DuraNautic 16 30hp

#89689 - 03/25/09 06:23 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Polar Dan]
Lacey Marine Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Forked River, NJ
A tourney would be pretty cool. We could be a weigh station if ya want...
Make sure to like our Facebook page

WE ARE A DEALER FOR ALL MAJOR ELECTRONICS, WE WILL MATCH ANY PRICE! PM ME FOR MORE DETAILS!

#89752 - 03/26/09 03:50 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Lacey Marine]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
Tourny is already in the works. Just trying to figure out how we are going to do it. Do we do the tape measure thing and mail out a tape measure to everyone who enters the tourny? Or, do we do a weigh in thing where you can go to any bait shop? Or do we do a garbage fish fry at Dan's house after the tourny? Ha ha.

Seriously though, we are trying to consider everything. I want it to be fun, most importantly, but secondly, we'd like to put on a good tournament. (despite the fact that it's for garbage fish)

Any ideas would be welcome. The tentative date is July 18th. That's the third Saturday in July. Does anyone know if that conflicts with any other widely fished tournaments? (not sure it matters)

Brian
garbagefish.com

#89767 - 03/26/09 08:36 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
Fisher Moose Offline
Captain

Hey, that a great idea. My buddy Pat (aka Skate King) will get a kick out of that.

That's a good weekend because the flukin' at that time last year sucked in the bay and was non-existent in the ocean.

#89769 - 03/26/09 08:46 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
FishinHardWater Offline
Instructor

Loc: playing in the sand
another idea... idea
on an icefishing website that i'm on, they have a yearlong online tournament. heres how they do it. they give you a card to print out, which is different every year, and you have to put the fish with a yellow tape stretched out next to it with the card, and take a picture, then take a picture of your self holding the fish on the ice (in this case it would be on the water). then submit it on the online forum. this works great for people who want to release a fish. maybe you can make a printable or mail out tape like you said and just have people take pictures of the fish with your tape. the only problem with doing it this way is, everyone has to have a digital camera and know how to upload pictures, also whoever is the weighmaster, or judge, will have to spend alot of time figuring out which fish won because it will take a long time to look at all the tape measures in pictures, with crooked angle's and people who dont put the tape exaclty at the fishs mouth. the fish will have to win by length also. there will be a delay in results.

heres how the icefishing website does it.
i didnt enter it this year so heres one of my friends.

how ever you decide to do it good luck!

Originally Posted By: Bay Fisher
Tourny is already in the works. Just trying to figure out how we are going to do it. Do we do the tape measure thing and mail out a tape measure to everyone who enters the tourny? Or, do we do a weigh in thing where you can go to any bait shop? Or do we do a garbage fish fry at Dan's house after the tourny? Ha ha.

Seriously though, we are trying to consider everything. I want it to be fun, most importantly, but secondly, we'd like to put on a good tournament. (despite the fact that it's for garbage fish)

Any ideas would be welcome. The tentative date is July 18th. That's the third Saturday in July. Does anyone know if that conflicts with any other widely fished tournaments? (not sure it matters)

Brian
garbagefish.com

#89771 - 03/26/09 09:05 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: FishinHardWater]
Jersey Joe Offline

Loc: Brevard County, FL
Sounds like a good weekend, no other tourneys in my calendar yet and the Bertram Rendezvous is the following week.

#89786 - 03/27/09 10:12 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Jersey Joe]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Thanks Joe. That weekend looks like a go.

Question is, and feel free to shoot any feedback on this as we are trying to figure it out: would people be more for a tape measure/photo submittion or an official weigh in deal? I think the tape measure thing would open it up to people all over the place and the weigh in might limit us to less participants. On the other hand, the weigh in would be a lot more fun and personal.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#89787 - 03/27/09 10:30 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
Sean Offline
Commander

I hope this is my weekend off from the store!

I think weigh in is cool, but if someone could not make it then they could also submit a photo.

#89790 - 03/27/09 10:57 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Sean]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Both? interesting. If we do weigh in, I don't think I want to order tape measures because most places have a 250 tape minimum order. What about photos of your fish on the scale? Meaning, if you can't make the official weigh in spot, you could snap a pic of your fish on the scale - wherever it is that you choose to go? I imagine that's not IGFA kosher but this is garbage fish after all. I want to keep the tourny cheap and fun. Cash prizes. Novelty prizes. Etc. and if possible - a garbage fish fry.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#89791 - 03/27/09 11:02 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
Sean Offline
Commander

Why would you have to order tape measures? Everyone should have one. They snap a picture and email it. This way a winner can be determined that evening.

#89792 - 03/27/09 11:10 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Sean]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

I say stick with the weigh in. The fish fry is a awesome idea. would love to try some skate.

#89805 - 03/27/09 03:13 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: usmc1]
WillPower2 Offline

Loc: Looking for a marina in barnag...
sounds like something i would go for,only thing missing is a cold beer,

#89808 - 03/27/09 04:22 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: WillPower2]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

The tape measure idea was so we could have a picture of a garbage fish on the it and people would always think of garbage whenever they measure something. Tournaments sometimes use those as a way to avoid the weigh ins and get some promotional value out it as well. Def. not necessary, though.

Fish fry and beer do go hand in hand.

brian
garbagefish.com

#89819 - 03/27/09 09:30 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
Ocd Offline
First Mate

Loc: PA
I could use a new stick on tape measure. The one on the boat is broken it always reads 40". smile Any idea the cost of the tape measures?

#89821 - 03/27/09 10:04 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Ocd]
Lacey Marine Offline
Sponsor

Originally Posted By: Ocd
I could use a new stick on tape measure. The one on the boat is broken it always reads 40". smile Any idea the cost of the tape measures?

We have them at the store and they are free...

WE ARE A DEALER FOR ALL MAJOR ELECTRONICS, WE WILL MATCH ANY PRICE! PM ME FOR MORE DETAILS!

#89823 - 03/28/09 12:38 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Lacey Marine]
Ocd Offline
First Mate

Loc: PA
Now that's a great deal! I have to stop in for some Trilux anyway.

#89828 - 03/28/09 09:29 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Ocd]
Lacey Marine Offline
Sponsor

We have them behind the counter, jsut make sure to ask for one.

#89836 - 03/28/09 12:14 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: WillPower2]
Sea Smoke Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton Sq.
If I had a vote it would be for a weigh in. I'm usual fishing by myself and I know you guys don't want me to take a picture of myself that close.
On another note I have heard great things about skate wings and will be trying them this year.

#89847 - 03/28/09 09:25 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Sea Smoke]
ReelTime Offline

Loc: Toms River
Finally a tournament I have a chance at winning. Sounds like it would be a fun venture for a change.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#89906 - 03/29/09 08:09 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Sea Smoke]
242AB Offline
First Mate

Loc: Hainesport, NJ
Originally Posted By: Striker-Joe
If I had a vote it would be for a weigh in. I'm usual fishing by myself and I know you guys don't want me to take a picture of myself that close.
On another note I have heard great things about skate wings and will be trying them this year.

Joe- I just got back from Wegman's and they had skate. $10.99/lb- maybe we are missing something here! Does anyone know if all skates are edible?

#89909 - 03/29/09 08:16 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: 242AB]
Sea Smoke Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton Sq.
242AB,

Tell me about it! I don't think i've actually ever got one in the boat because the tail scares the crap out of me. I know when handling them you definitely need gloves.

#89920 - 03/30/09 08:13 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Sea Smoke]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

10.99 LB!

#89943 - 03/30/09 02:02 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: usmc1]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Yeah - I got a call from Wegmans and they asked if you can really eat that stuff. After consulting with them, they decided to carry fresh skate wings. kidding.

Was talking to a neighbor who volunteers for reclamthebay.org and he said that a couple weeks ago, he defrosted some striper, blue fish, skate and dogfish and cooked it up. Said that by far the skate froze the best. Wasn't sure what surprised me more - that he ate 6 month old thawed bluefish or that the Skate tasted better than thawed striper. I don't freeze fish, but I might try it with skate.

brian
garbagefish.com

#89953 - 03/30/09 02:59 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
BOB J Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton, NJ
I only had a small piece of striper left for dinner last week so I also defrosted some bluefish from last November. I expected to end up throwing out bluefish but it actually was excellent. Tasted like it was caught yesterday. Only seasoning was some Old Bay sprinked on it. Couldn't believe it; go figure!

#89965 - 03/30/09 03:56 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: BOB J]
Retriever Offline
Captain

Loc: Island Heights, NJ
Was told by a commercial fishing friend of mine that if you buy "sea scallops", they are skate wings processed with the equivalent of a cookie cutter.

Re: Bluefish. My experience is that 1# to 1.5# blues fresh caught are among the best eating fish I've ever had (the "white meat only"). If bled and iced immediately, they freeze well.
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders, Seaside Park, NJ

#89967 - 03/30/09 04:08 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Retriever]
242AB Offline
First Mate

Loc: Hainesport, NJ
Originally Posted By: Retriever
Was told by a commercial fishing friend of mine that if you buy "sea scallops", they are skate wings processed with the equivalent of a cookie cutter.

Re: Bluefish. My experience is that 1# to 1.5# blues fresh

I hope that's not true! By the looks of them, I'd say that it's impossible.

While checking them out, I nearly stuck my nose through the glass. The meat is very white, but not as translucent as a scallop. The texture is also something to see. The best way that I can explain it is like if you opened an old personal fan that was made out of cylindrical objects like cigarettes. (You know, the ones that open like a buck knife and that you would see in some famous French artist's portrait of a fat lady from the 1600's)

Edited by 242AB (03/30/09 04:10 PM)

#89969 - 03/30/09 04:16 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: 242AB]
Jersey Joe Offline

Loc: Brevard County, FL
Skate wings have a cartilage network similar to veins in a maple leaf. It is very difficult to remove from a raw wing, making it virtually impossible to pass as a scallop. As stated before the texture is completely different and most skate wings you see in fish counters are not nearly as white as a scallop. Not to mention the size of the skate needed to make a 1" thick sea scallop with a cookie cutter! shaky I am sure they exist, just never seen one on TV or in real life. I think you have a better chance of giant squid being used to punch out sea scallops than a skate wing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
1 registered (gl1), 109 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33430 Topics
219151 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM