Newest Members
Bsusk, BillStratton, 111, TBTFW, Calhoun87
6807 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126766 - 06/27/10 08:09 PM Oystercrackers
Mad Moe Offline

Loc: LEH, NJ
Do you guys ever eat oystercrackers? I caught a big one in the yak this weekend that looked like it had a lot of meat once you got past the big mouth and head. I only know one other guy who has but he eats everything and everything seems to taste good to him. I'd like some other opinions.

#126771 - 06/27/10 09:38 PM Re: Oystercrackers [Re: Mad Moe]
Eric Offline
Captain

Loc: Monmouth County
No, never. Hey, you know you always hear people say that a fish tastes good. However, other than bluefish...you rarely hear someone say that a particular fish tastes horrible.

Have you tried a fish that tasted so bad that you would probably never have it again?

#126781 - 06/28/10 08:08 AM Re: Oystercrackers [Re: Eric]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
I haven't caught an oyster cracker big enough to eat - but they eat the same stuff all the other bottom feeders do so I'm sure they taste fine. Same with stargazers. Same deal though - different to clean - an enigma - so garbage fish it is.

Bluefish are delicious at a certain size - and even time of year - and need little treatment. The big boys need some treatment to be palatable to most so I just enjoy the fight with them and let them go to terrorize the seas.

The worst fish you'll have in my opinion is a huge drum be it red or black. I was at Delmonico's - one of Emeril's restaurants in New Orleans a few years back and the wife ordered redfish (red drum)and it was nasty. Mushy and fishy. I saw Emeril at the Bacchus Ball later that week and had a few enough in me to tell him about it and he was very cool about it and said he would be speaking with the chef. He was tuned up too so I doubt he remembered, although he did try to make out with my sister in law. With all that said, I hear smaller ones taste good.

3 more days til tourny time.

#126788 - 06/28/10 09:07 AM Re: Oystercrackers [Re: garbagefish.com]
PuddlePirate Offline
First Mate

Loc: Barnegat
I believe the garbagefish line is drawn at bunker.......

#126791 - 06/28/10 09:23 AM Re: Oystercrackers [Re: PuddlePirate]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
Perhaps. Did meet a guy who runs the sedge island resource center and he says he likes green crabs and jellyfish. (not together)

We caught so much sea lettuce a couple weeks ago that I started keeping it. I dried it and used it in sushi. How 'bout bluefish cheek sashimi? Did that a few years back. Sort of tasteless like fluke sashimi.

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
0 registered (), 148 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33433 Topics
219164 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM