Rate This Topic
20140816_112852.jpg
One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster FishinMission Offline
Posted 08/16/14 04:31 PM
Description
Probably the luckiest and most amazing thing happened today. Out at the Ridge trolling for Bonito and fish like that. We have a way back spreader bar in the center rigger connected to a Tiagra 30w on a Tallus rod...about an $800-$900 setup with the line, spreader bar, etc. Fish hits the bar. Center rigger clip doesn't release. It was like slow motion watching that rod shoot out of the holder and into the water. After a lot of swearing and a moment of disbelief, we composed ourselves and took action. I marked the spot on the GPS, then put 3 bunker snags out with heavy sinkers to maybe give us a chance at getting it back. Trolled really slow around the mark and over our tracks for about 2 hours. Longest 2 hours of our lives...just sitting and zig zagging over our track. Other boats must have thought we had a huge fish on since we had the spreaders hanging off the outriggers. Then one rod bends over...could it be? Dad reels it in very gently and we see color. Oh no...we snagged a fish. But wait, that's a bonito! And that's our purple spreader bar!!!! Pull in all the line and there she is. Man I have never been so glad to see one of our rods. What a relief.

Shut the engines off, and sat back and had a sandwich after rinsing the rod/reel with freshwater and bleeding the bonito.

Back on the troll and got 5 more bonito and 2 blues. Didn't care one bit about the fish...just the fact that we got our rod back!!! Great ride in at 34 knots!!

Dimensions 800x450
Size 237.47 KB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#198577 - 08/16/14 04:48 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: FishinMission]
Gene H Offline

Loc: Forked River NJ
Great story. My father who is 88 now was fluking off Manasquan about 20 years ago when a guest on his boat hooked something heavy and clearly not a fish. They ended up bringing in a Penn International 80 and rod. It did not appear to have been in the water a long time. He sent it back to Penn who refurbished it. I have it now but have never used it. Incredible that you got yours back. Good job.
Forked River

#198578 - 08/16/14 04:50 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Gene H]
Swampy Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
That is a catch to remember

#198584 - 08/16/14 07:24 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Swampy]
O G Offline
Captain

Loc: NJ
buy a lotto ticket
Beach Haven West

#198586 - 08/16/14 08:43 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: O G]
Deep Thought Offline
First Mate

Loc: Long Valley / Beach Haven West
Better yet, buy two (2) lottey tickets!
I monitor the "Club" Channel, 78 and 16/9 always.
Member - RFA
Member - Stripers Forever

#198595 - 08/16/14 11:03 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Deep Thought]
JMitchell Offline
First Mate

Loc: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
Truly shocking to see the rod and reel launch out of the boat and into the water leaving us dumbfounded....but even more astounding to retrieve it from the bottom of the ocean several hours later! and with a fish on no less!! Our "Fishin Mission" turned into a Recovery Mission and was a success! Unbelievable......:)

Joe

#198596 - 08/16/14 11:04 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Deep Thought]
JMitchell Offline
First Mate

Loc: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
Bruce, I bought 5 tickets today for the MegaMillions....if I hit drinks are on me!

#198607 - 08/17/14 08:29 AM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: JMitchell]
Scott D Offline

Loc: Toms River
Great job guys. You were very persistent in trolling around and getting it back.

Nice talking to you out there.

Scott

#198610 - 08/17/14 08:40 AM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Scott D]
Celticcross Offline
Captain

Loc: Shamong NJ/ Forked River NJ
Joey you are not that lucky I am. I lost the exact same rod out there two weeks ago.
I checked out the pictures and that is definitely my set up not yours so next time you see me can you please return it Thanks Eric

LOL
Fish Hawks
JCAA

#198613 - 08/17/14 08:51 AM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: FishinMission]
Dave "O" Offline
First Mate

Loc: Colts Neck / Waretown
Wow! Great story, thanks for sharing.

“The key to Christian life is not what you can do for God but what you’re willing to let God do through you.” ~ Henry Blackaby

#198617 - 08/17/14 09:24 AM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Dave "O"]
Scott Offline
Captain

Loc: Rahway/Waretown
Talk about ups and downs. .. may I suggest a 5 foot length of rope and a clip of some sort?

Way to save the day, could have been a very long ride back.

#198623 - 08/17/14 11:28 AM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Scott]
jak Offline
Commander

Loc: toms river nj
i had a funny experience like that once!i was trout fishing in my old hometown park pond one year and a friend of mine showed up with his 3 sons and i helped him rig up his kids.i put my rod down on the dam to rig up little sam's rod thinking these little trout will just hook themselves and if that does happen i would just reel it in when i was done !!SPLASH!!you guessed it!i made this rod years before and it has been one of my favs!big sam was snagging carp the day before so he pulls out a #17 ava out of his box,rigs it up and gives it to me and says give it a shot! 7 casts later(small pond)i snag my rig,reel it in,and,lo and behold,a 24 in.rainbow on the end of my line!!the kids were going nuts and so was i!!i still us that rod today!!to do that in the ocean is just fantastic!!!i can say i know exactly how you felt when you got your rig back!!!tight lines work in many ways!!!
Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders

#198629 - 08/17/14 12:19 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Dave "O"]
Tuna Kahuna Offline
Commander

Loc: Forked River
Nice save Joey. That could have been one expensive lesson. I had the same thing happen with a wireline setup shooting out of the rod holder that fortunately was saved before going overboard. Keep everything since attached with lines to the boat now while trolling.

#198630 - 08/17/14 12:44 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Tuna Kahuna]
Njlou Offline
First Mate

Loc: Bayville, N.J.
I put my rig down yesterday at the Tires for a second and a huge skate took it for a ride and my son actually dove for it and grabbed it at the butt right before it went in. What a save! Thanks Chris lol.

#198636 - 08/17/14 02:12 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: Njlou]
FishinMission Offline
Jr Captain

Loc: NJ
It was certainly an unbelievable thing. My dad and I are still shaking our heads at this. Soaked that reel in freshwater for 5-6 hours. Dried it off and broke the whole thing down. Cleaned all the sand out and re-oiled/greased. Stripped all the line off (After we removed the spool from the rest of the reel) and we'll be respooling soon. SO glad to have it back.

Eric... I was thinking out there, How funny would it be if we pulled up like an International or a completely different setup???? HAHAHAHAHAHA

And yes...everything is getting tethered from now on. We usually tether the rods with the planers but never thought of the center rigger and all the other rods on release clips (5 total in our spread on some sort of clip).

Still can't believe we retrieved that rod off the ocean floor, 15 miles out, with a bunker snag. What are the chances...

#198644 - 08/17/14 05:09 PM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: FishinMission]
jack sprat Offline
Captain

Loc: Pemberton, New Jersey
One great story!..who knows..now I have hope on finding my okuma and a stradic
reel..I lost last year...lol.....glad you found it!

#198754 - 08/19/14 09:56 AM Re: One Heck of Story... Rod Overboard [Re: jack sprat]
Fingers Crossed Offline

Loc: Causeway Boat Rental and Marin...
Well done, Joey! That's good Karma coming back to you!

'87 Stamas 255

'00 Xpress 1404 Jon Boat

Moderator:  Capt. Bill, jim, JoeK, Victoria 
BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
5/7 Fluke
Blue and bass
Black Drum
Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6811 Members
70 Forums
33451 Topics
219235 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM