do not let this happen to you !!!!

Posted by: jawz

do not let this happen to you !!!! - 08/22/09 09:50 AM

i have a customer,he has a 25 grady and he's located in ocean city nj,he sold the boat to a buddy of his.stay with me on this ok idea?
the new owner called me asking about winterizing the boat/engines,storage and shrink wrap,i give him the price-$900 + 7% sales tax-this includes everything,including picking the boat up and hauling it to the shop,then unloading it on blocks.gentleman thinks this is too much money-no problem,call around get a better deal,more pwoer to you...
he called me earlier this morning-he contacted another guy,what a scam this guy has.this guy charges to pick up the boat,then charges $14 per ft for storage,and $12ft for shrink wrap-the haul out charge and the pressure wash charge is $5 per ft-which adds up to $31 per ft,which equals $875-this is just to store the boat,add at least $300 to winterize the engines,charged by another yard to do.the gentleman explains this all to me-welcome to the world of boats i explain to him...

moral of this story is,watch out for these shady fly by nite guys,the deal they're gonna throw at you is usually more than having a reputable firm,with proper equipment ,insurance,and knowledge take care of the whole thing...there's alot of these guys around... BE CAREFULL !!!
Posted by: EMALS

Re: do not let this happen to you !!!! - 08/22/09 10:12 AM

I agree with your concept, Im a firm believer in the old axiom "you get what you pay for"

Re: do not let this happen to you !!!! - 08/23/09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: EMALS
I agree with your concept, Im a firm believer in the old axiom "you get what you pay for"

i call it "the art of deception"...these shady guys make it bad for all of us...
Posted by: Grog

Re: do not let this happen to you !!!! - 08/24/09 01:11 PM

If you never priced things out at first you would think he's ripping me off. In actuality it's a steal! Storage starts at $500, wrapping is about $300, then you pick it up (and assume lauch it next year), block it and winterize it. A $300 lesson, well there are harder lessons out there.

He tells him I only charge $14/ft to hook the guy then screws'm.

Re: do not let this happen to you !!!! - 08/29/09 08:51 AM

i've read more and more of these guys advertising on other sites...ask the questions "got insurance".i will need a copy of your liability policy

"where's my boat stored"

"who's gonna winterize my engines"

"who's responsible if there's a problem"