PLB or new Spot 2

Posted by: Ann-Gil Fish

PLB or new Spot 2 - 09/23/09 01:04 PM

I saw your post in another thread about the new Spot 2 device. It sounds like they made some improvements on their original device. I was planning to get a PLB with built in GPS over the winter but am considering the Spot 2. What would you recommend for someone who only goes to the ridge a few times a year and the rest is inshore fishing?
Posted by: Jersey Joe

Re: PLB or new Spot 2 - 09/23/09 01:21 PM

I personally think the Spot is a secondary device. I would go with the PLB or an EPIRB. EPIRB's have come way down in price but then again so have the PLB's.

Don't forget with the Spot you have to subscribe to a service after purchase. So don't forget to factor that in. With the PLB and EPIRB only fee after purchase is to replace batteries on the EPIRB, not sure on the PLB but they may be user replaceable.
Posted by: Ann-Gil Fish

Re: PLB or new Spot 2 - 09/23/09 01:25 PM

I was all set to get the PLB. I like the idea that its assigned to the person and not the boat like the EPIRB. So I can take it on someone else's boat. Then I read the updates on the Spot 2 and started second guessing my decision.
Posted by: Jersey Joe

Re: PLB or new Spot 2 - 09/23/09 01:33 PM

It's just my opinion. Myself and all the guys I fish with all have EPIRB's and after my buddy won the spot we all chipped in for the service. So depending on who goes on the trip he logs in and changes the e-mail list for the messages it can send out. Really cool device thoguh.
Posted by: Lacey Marine

Re: PLB or new Spot 2 - 09/24/09 08:33 AM

Def the PLB's over the SPOT's. SPOT works good on the water but they are more designed for hikers and land. We actually had a lady buy one for her mother last year in Texas so she could keep track of where she went or if she left a general area.