If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller

Posted by: Jersey Joe

If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller - 12/06/13 11:14 AM

If you paint your own bottom and never tried the little 'hot dog roller' that Dan sells definitely give it a shot. I painted the bottom yesterday in record time...especially for a full keel, wide beam boat with prop pockets. It was a lot of bottom to paint and I thought it would take for ever looking at the size of the roller but it was much faster and easier to get the lifting strakes and chines. I also used a lot less paint and the finish was much smoother than a larger roller. Painted the entire boat with just over a gallon. Thanks Dan!
Posted by: Griff164

Re: If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller - 12/06/13 12:02 PM

I saw a guy in the marina doing it like that a few years ago and I agree it's alot easier with the small roller and less messy plus the roller loaded with paint is much lighter.
Posted by: Lacey Marine

Re: If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller - 12/06/13 12:54 PM

Are you going to return the extra "regular" roller you bought? lol. They are the best rollers, less paint, easier to roll out, and can get into the small areas better
Posted by: Jersey Joe

Re: If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller - 12/06/13 03:29 PM

Probably...was hoping to finish with only one gallon and return the second gallon but that didn't happen. I really like the color too, I know it isn't wet yet but that is the darkest blue bottom paint I have ever seen...finally one that matches flag blue boot stripes!
Posted by: Captain Hook

Re: If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller - 12/16/13 10:42 AM

Just an FYI- I had poor results with Interlux Bottomcote NT this past season. When I called the company, the sales rep said that using a small roller less than 3/8" nap thins the coat and will not effectively cover. IMHO, sounds like a bit of an excuse to me, especially since I used two coats- however I will likely be using something else next season, maybe with more slime resistance. Any suggestions?
Posted by: Lacey Marine

Re: If you paint your own bottom definitely use a small roller - 04/23/14 10:44 AM

First sorry I did not see this. I am very suprised you had a problem with the paint. It's a great paint and dollar for dollar, the best we sell. If you are looking for a paint with a slime fighter we carry ACT(single season, ablative), Pacifica Plus( Copper-free) and Micron Extra (multiseason, ablative). Our Open House is this Saturday, April 26 and have some specials on paint and everything else in the store.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1392948600962185/