Garbage Fish Trifecta

Posted by: Sean

Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/07/09 03:18 PM

Went out with Just a Fluke yesterday and we completed the trifecta. I now have both dgofish and sea robin in the freezer(the skate was too small). I will try some of the recipes on this website and report back.
Posted by: FishinHardWater

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/07/09 11:29 PM

sweet! i got a giant skate on saturday, along with one robin
Posted by: Jersey Joe

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/08/09 10:09 AM

I got all three as well yesterday, two of the three ended up being bait though, the tiny skate was released. In hindsight I would have been flying three flags on the ride in! waver
Posted by: just a fluke sr

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/08/09 10:24 PM

Sean you have to let me know how the dogfish turns out I cut the head off as soon as we got it in the boat and bleed it over the side and when I cleaned it the meat was almost pure white it looked really good so lets see!!!!!
Posted by: garbagefish.com

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/09/09 12:50 PM

Garbage fishing is ON !!!!

brian
garbagefish.com

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/09/09 03:31 PM

Going to cook it up next weekend. Can't wait to try it.

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/20/09 05:45 PM

We just cooked up a dogfish....it was excellent.

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/20/09 08:14 PM

Had a 4 ft doggie today I should have saved it for ya Sean and a few skates no sea robins though so we missed the slam!!! do star fish count??

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/21/09 07:39 AM

Star fish definately count. I just don't have a flag for them.

How'd you cook that dog, Sean?

I have a new favorite sporting good store. Sean delivered a hockey stick - from his store - Play it Again Sports - sized for my 5 year old - via boat yesterday. Now that's convenient location !

Brian
garbagefish.com

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/21/09 10:50 AM

Brian that star fish was about 2 inches across and fell for a whole squid cleaned the hook off but I got him!!!!! and yes may have to start making fish and chips with those doggies fire up the fryer let me know how I can get some of those flags for the boat Thanks Dave
Posted by: Eric

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/21/09 11:05 AM

I dont care how bad the fluking gets....I am not eating that garbage.

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/21/09 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bay Fisher

I have a new favorite sporting good store. Sean delivered a hockey stick - from his store - Play it Again Sports - sized for my 5 year old - via boat yesterday. Now that's convenient location !

Brian
garbagefish.com

Thanks Brian. That deal goes for all BFH members. 10% Discount, 5% rebate to the Reef Fund and free delivery for those located to far from the store's location. We carry all the newest sporting goods at that the lowest prices!

We just put some salt, pepper and Old Bay on the dogfish fish.....dipped it in egg, breaded it and threw it in the frying pan.
Posted by: FishinHardWater

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/21/09 08:03 PM

i also got two smooth doggies about 4 feet in length this weekend from the surf. oh yea and one of them striped bass things too smile

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/22/09 07:01 AM

The fluking hasn't been bad and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm trying to catch garbage fish. Last year we couldn't buy a good size fluke. Figures.

Capn. Eric - keep an open mind. Think of it as gourmet garbage.
Posted by: usmc1

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/22/09 08:24 AM

Sean is right, that dogfish hit the spot. And that dog was in the freezer for two weeks. Cant wait to try a fresh one
Posted by: stebo

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/28/09 09:09 PM

Went out this morning and we had a special request from Brian to bring him some garbage fish - got him a couple decent size Sea Robins. He cleaned them, cooked and delivered to me. I have fished the Barnegat area for forty year and never even thought about eating a Sea Robin. Guess what, my family and I really enjoyed this treat. I will keep some on every trip. Fished just outside the inlet - North- caught 15 Sea Robins, 1 Dog fish, 1 small Skate, 2 Fluke 1 17 3/4 and 1 27" 7lbs. All and all a great morning under Old Barney

Steve
Posted by: Eric

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/28/09 10:17 PM

Brian

OK I will think of it as gourmet garbage from now on.

We need to find an overseas market for them. Then, we can at least cash in on all of this garbage.

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/29/09 08:40 AM

Steve - glad you liked it and it was the least I could do for you since you brought in a hat trick of birds. They are just plain old good eating.

Eric - sign up for the tourny and you have an excellent chance of cashing in on some garbage. But the euros are way ahead of us. They sell searobin at the market as "gurnard". I'm told it's the same fish.

Brian
garbagefish.com
Posted by: orangejeff

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 06/30/09 03:38 PM

what size is considered big for a dogfish? I caught 2 yesterday that were the biggest I've ever caught. One was almost 3.5 feet and second was almost 4ft.

Re: Garbage Fish Trifecta - 07/01/09 07:10 AM

That'd be a real good size dogfish. Good meat.