Newsletter
Events
Sorry guys, nothing going on right now.
Newest Members
Calhoun87, dfallon47, zinisk, HewsDat, Dave willy
6803 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102072 - 08/05/09 09:47 AM be careful/check things fully...
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
i recently spoke with a gentleman,he was interested in purchasing a boat,he had his heart set on a certain boat,and who am i to tell him differently,right idea? he asked for some advice,and i gave it to him...he asked about a boat,the owner made quite a few modifications to,he didn't like things and this gentleman kn ew much more than the engineers who designed it-my advice was,"stay away from that boat"...he didn't listen,he made a long ride to see it and check it out,on the sea trial,a hose blew out-hosing the owner,knowing all he does,made up,the boat almost sank-no high bilge water alarm,they beached the boat...nice huh idea?
this gentleman,went on to look at another boat,this one had a late model "rebuilt" engine in it...he sea trailed it and bought it...he never ran it to top rpm,but he bought it anyway...here's where the problem begins...

the engine wouldn't reach full rpm,he was trying to get it to reach that rpm number,but,wasn't succesful...he threw a bunch of parts at it,distributor cap,rotor,wires ,plugs,filters,etc....only had it to top rpm,one time...then the engine had an alarm,an oil pressure alarm,with a knocking sound too-not good huh idea?

i'm typing this for a reason,not to see my words in print,but to actually help someone out...if you're looking at a boat with a rebuilt engine,you want to be really skeptical...who did the rebuild idea? what exactly was rebuilt idea? did the engine get a valve job,and someone is calling a rebuild idea? any warranty idea? is it a reman "long block ",that someone is calling a "new" engine idea?
in my experience,rebuilt gas inboard or stern drive engines are a waste of time,i've yet to see one run well,and i would never reccomend anyone buy any boat with either a reman long block or rebuilt engines-these are gas engines we're talking about here,diesels are a completley different story.playing a game with old junk is asking for trouble...what this gentleman is going through right now,is not the first time i've seen it,i feel bad for the guy,he bought something that wasn't what he thought he was buying...
do not let this happen to you...

if an engine,a gas powered stern drive or inboard engine has a problem with sea water ingestion,due to bad manifolds and risers,or the engine has had sea water in the cylinders,that engine needs to be thrown away-this is my opinion,and how i do things,making the attempt to rebuild this is passing the point of diminishing returns-it costs more to rebuild than to replace with new...remember this...
"rebuilt" means "RUN",and RUN REALLY FAST TOO !!!!

#102086 - 08/05/09 11:49 AM Re: be careful/check things fully... [Re: jawz]
Retriever Offline
Captain

Loc: Island Heights, NJ
Further JAWZ's post... If you are going to sea trial a boat, make sure that the engines are COLD when you get there.
Tell the seller that you want to see the boat with cold engines.
When you get there, pop the hatch and feel the engines...make sure they are COLD. Lots of problem engines are major pains to start cold but are pussycats to start once warmed up.

If you aren't going to sea trial a boat, deduct the price of a new factory engine from the current market value of the boat in that boat's current hull condition. Don't pay any more than that. If its a stern drive... factor in a rebuilt lower unit as well.

At best, boats are "holes in the water..." etc.etc. No point in making it any worse than it needs to be.

If the boat is more than a few thousands... get it surveyed,
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders, Seaside Park, NJ

#102118 - 08/05/09 06:58 PM Re: be careful/check things fully... [Re: Retriever]
jawz Offline
Captain

excellent advice there capt bob...excellent advice...

#102166 - 08/06/09 11:28 AM Re: be careful/check things fully... [Re: jawz]
Grog Offline

Loc: Manasquan, NJ
Quality rebuilt motors are fine but you have to have a good parts to work with. The only problem is if all you want is a basic rebuild it'll cost just about the same as a new crate motor or at least a long block. With the cost of new heads rebuilding the old ones aren't worth it. I wouldn't let those big shops rebuid my lawnmower. The workers are expected to build so many motors a day and they take short-cuts like tightening up main bearing clearences by wacking the caps with a hammer.

Find a reputable surveyor, they all aren't equal.

#102210 - 08/06/09 06:21 PM Re: be careful/check things fully... [Re: Grog]
jawz Offline
Captain

"crate motor" idea? not sure what that means...i don't reccomend anything except for new,as in new,complete engines...new long blocks get put into the same category-the engine isn't complete,you're going to use old parts-kinda like taking a shower and putting your dirty clothes back on...buy new,be done with it...it's the smart play...

this is a repower...

http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=89343#Post89343

anything other than this,that's not a repower,and i reccoemdn you run,do not walk,run,away fro that boat...

surveyors,ha !! i could write a book on surveyors,seen it all the good,the bad and the ugly...only one guy i reccomend...

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
11/4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6803 Members
70 Forums
33412 Topics
219063 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM