Newsletter
Events
Sorry guys, nothing going on right now.
Newest Members
Bsusk, BillStratton, 111, TBTFW, Calhoun87
6807 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159608 - 05/21/12 10:30 AM Correct rod action ?
fishnduck Offline

Loc: Cream Ridge & Barnegat
Tony,
I have not been able to attend one of your seminars, so forgive me if I am asking the same old questions. I have two of your bunker spoon rods and several of your spoons. My questions are how much travel in the rod should there be for the correct pumping action ? Sometimes I have seen the rod bent into a C and the pumping action moves the tip 1-2 feet. Other times the rod only has a slight bend and the travel when pumping is 6" to a foot at most. I have only caught one bass on a #4 white so far and I recall the rod was pumping pretty hard that day.

I believe you have to vary the speed dependent on the wind, current, tide, etc to get the right action, correct ? But is trolling at 5 mph or more too fast ? It seems like somedays I needed to troll that fast to get the really good pumping action.

Thanks,
Frank

#159671 - 05/22/12 08:19 AM Re: Correct rod action ? [Re: fishnduck]
Southern Charm Offline
Captain

Loc: Sicklerville/ Waretown NJ

Edited by Southern Charm (05/22/12 08:19 AM)

#159750 - 05/23/12 07:13 AM Re: Correct rod action ? [Re: Southern Charm]
Capt Mark Offline
Sponsor - Charter Captain

Loc: Point Pleasant
Frank, their is no cookie cut method for trolling Tony's rods and spoons. I have had fish hit them when we were going down wind and we were close to 4.5 knots and then again using his trick of dropping it to the bottom and then coming back up to the troll.
Trust me if you see that tip with a pulse, its moving. If you want try this trick, which we have done to see the difference in his spoons, have someone up on the bow drop it back and you can see the difference in the #4 to the #2. AND please use wire, their are very few spoons that work with braid correctly, some captains get lucky.
Good luck and hope this helped you a little, dont put a lot of thought into it, you will pull your hair out, just try different things and keep an accurate log.
732-600-0596
Member:RFA
Member:Bay Head Shores Fishing Club
Member: Greater Point Pleasant Charter Boat Assoc.
Member:National Assoc. of Charterboat Operators
Pro Staff: Tony Maja tackle

#159824 - 05/24/12 09:17 AM Re: Correct rod action ? [Re: Capt Mark]
fishnduck Offline

Loc: Cream Ridge & Barnegat
Thanks guys. Between your comments and looking at Maja's website some more I think I have my answers. Picked up a 46" bass last night on a white #4.

#159855 - 05/24/12 12:15 PM Re: Correct rod action ? [Re: fishnduck]
Southern Charm Offline
Captain

Loc: Sicklerville/ Waretown NJ
congrats on the bass!

#167126 - 09/26/12 05:06 PM Re: Correct rod action ? [Re: fishnduck]
John's Joy Offline

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
Originally Posted By: fishnduck
Tony,
I have not been able to attend one of your seminars, so forgive me if I am asking the same old questions. I have two of your bunker spoon rods and several of your spoons. My questions are how much travel in the rod should there be for the correct pumping action ? Sometimes I have seen the rod bent into a C and the pumping action moves the tip 1-2 feet. Other times the rod only has a slight bend and the travel when pumping is 6" to a foot at most. I have only caught one bass on a #4 white so far and I recall the rod was pumping pretty hard that day.

I believe you have to vary the speed dependent on the wind, current, tide, etc to get the right action, correct ? But is trolling at 5 mph or more too fast ? It seems like somedays I needed to troll that fast to get the really good pumping action.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank, you can come as my guest to our Fish Hawks meeting on Thursday OCTOBER 4, @ 7:30pm. Tony is going to speak about his products.
Fish Hawks - Forked River, NJ
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders - Seaside NJ

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
0 registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33432 Topics
219162 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM