Events
Sorry guys, nothing going on right now.
Newest Members
Bsusk, BillStratton, 111, TBTFW, Calhoun87
6807 Registered Users
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89523 - 03/23/09 04:34 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
Originally Posted By: Retriever
Jawz...

Try a copy and past of the link into the address bar in your internet browser.

thought you were an engineer idea? there's a waaaay easier way to do that...you're working too hard with that set up...

#89534 - 03/23/09 07:26 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
BOB J Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton, NJ
Jawz, it was a partial joke in that it is not my boat but another vessel in front of me dry docked @ Holiday Harbor. I have never met owner. He was dry docked before me last fall & I haven't seen him/her this spring as yet. Hopefully, I'll meet captain before I leave for my marina.

#89536 - 03/23/09 07:29 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: BOB J]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: BOB J
Jawz, it was a partial joke in that it is not my boat but another vessel in front of me dry docked @ Holiday Harbor. I have never met owner. He was dry docked before me last fall & I haven't seen him/her this spring as yet. Hopefully, I'll meet captain before I leave for my marina.

trust me,some of the stuff i see everyday,i would believe that...i could write a book...

#89566 - 03/24/09 09:47 AM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: jawz]
Retriever Offline
Captain

Loc: Island Heights, NJ
Originally Posted By: jawz
Jawz...

Try a copy and past of the link into the address bar in your internet browser.

thought you were an engineer idea? there's a waaaay easier way to do that...you're working too hard with that set up...

Are you referring to the link or the transducer installation?
BTW...Engineers don't always look for the easiest way to do something... just the best. Where "Best" is not defined as the "be all" and "end all" of perfection, but the solution that best meets the conditions (performance, time available, cost, quality, resources...etc) that the problem presents.
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders, Seaside Park, NJ

#89567 - 03/24/09 09:59 AM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
jawz Offline
Captain

there's a much easier,and better way to go about installing a transducer in that fashion you described...however,i choose to go an accepted route,use the proper equipment for the job...it's kinda like using a volvo outdrive behind a merc engine,something i wouldn't do...if you're gonna install something,use the proper equipment,granted,sometimes the improper equipment will work...
honda motor company had a print ad a few years ago,it was a picture of a chair,one leg was broken,someone tied a stick to it,this was the repair,it stated " sure it's fixed,but would you sit on it "??? me,i stick with what works for me,i'm sure you can spend your time "reinventing the wheel",i'm pretty confident you've got time on your hands with the financial market being what it is...it's much better to use the correct thru hull ducer,along with a fairing block cut at the correct angle,or to properly install a transom mounted 'ducer-afterall,that's what they were designed for...

and no offense,if that's the best set up you can come up with,i see why you're in the mortgage buisness rather than the engineering buisness...

#89574 - 03/24/09 11:13 AM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: jawz]
Retriever Offline
Captain

Re: "it's much better to use the correct thru hull ducer,along with a fairing block cut at the correct angle,or to properly install a transom mounted 'ducer-afterall,that's what they were designed for..."

First...per my previous post.."but the solution that best meets the conditions (performance, time available, cost, quality, resources...etc) that the problem presents."

1) I don't like to drill un-necessary holes in my hull. And I'd hardly call "shooting thru the hull" as something that the transducer wasn't designed for since the installation instruction with my transducer indicated that doing that was acceptable...and the transducer supplied was not a thru hull.
2) Mounting it on the transom... OK that's what I originally wanted to do.. but then again READING THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS I realised that there wasn't enough room on the transom to do that due to the trim tabs.

Sooo.... back to shooting thru the hull. Given the location of the external wedge water strainer on the hull I wasn't sure that the location that I'd picked would not be a problem due to the nearby strainer so I wanted a way that was "not permanent".

Also... since my wife gave me the sonar as a Father's Day gift and the boat was in the water already where it lives 7 months of the year, I did not want to pay to have the boat hauled... which I would have to do for EITHER method you insist are the only right ways to do it.

As I said... "but the solution that best meets the conditions (performance, time available, cost, quality, resources...etc) that the problem presents."

Furthermore I take exception to your snide and totally unfounded attacks on my engineering ability.

The reason I'm not working as an engineer is two fold.
a) They exported my job overseas.
b) I worked in the Whippany area and live in Island Heights.
The 4 hr per day commute and the 10 hrs/day work day and the high stress were taking a toll on my health...

As to how good I was as an engineer... I worked for almost 20 years as a consultant at Bell Labs and Lucent and for one of the Lucent spin-offs. I was not the typical (get hired and write 20000 lines of code and leave programmer)consultants... I got hired by and large to bail Bell Labs and Lucent out of problems. I have two high tech patents and had two others pending.

BTW... My boat has a MERC engine in front of a VOLVO drive.
Something that you think is somehow "improper"... Again.. you don't understand the problem to be solved.

Volvo drive ChrisCraft Lancers have an unusual setup. While they use a sterndrive, they do not PER CHRIS CRAFT REQUIREMENTS use a sterndrive engine. They have a special intermediate housing (elongated) that takes an INBOARD, i.e., bobtail engine. Hence the 5.7L MIE engine. Why MERC... A friend of mine was badly screwed by VOLVO on a warranty issue, so I took my business elsewhere. The last time I re-engined a 1969 Lancer (not this hull) I installed a 318 Chrysler... A bobtail engine is a bobtail engine.

Also...re:"i'm sure you can spend your time "reinventing the wheel"... Actually not so much "inventing the wheel", but improving it. I was a hardware and systems development engineer.
Always looking for better ways to do things. I didn't make "the big bucks" listening to someone telling me what the "only way " was to do something.

You may a very good at what you do... Don't make the assumption that there aren't others out there who aren't as good or better than you are at what they do.

#89598 - 03/24/09 03:38 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
WillPower2 Offline

Loc: Looking for a marina in barnag...
wow tht was good !

#89675 - 03/25/09 02:37 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: WillPower2]
shdbfishing Offline
First Mate

Loc: Forked River, NJ 08731
"and no offense,if that's the best set up you can come up with,i see why you're in the mortgage buisness rather than the engineering buisness..."

Jawz, that is a pretty low blow. I did not see anyone take a shot at some your remarks when patting yourself on the back over and over again about the great work you do. So lets be taking shots at others when there is little or no reason to do so.

#89680 - 03/25/09 03:50 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: shdbfishing]
WillPower2 Offline

Loc: Looking for a marina in barnag...
I was just looking for the best way to set up 2 transducers on the back of my grady white.

#89697 - 03/25/09 08:23 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: WillPower2]
BOB J Offline
Captain

Finally met owner of boat that has vertically mounted transducer on transom. He is not original owner & has no idea why the transducer is where it's at. Unending mystery !!

#89702 - 03/25/09 09:48 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: BOB J]
Retriever Offline
Captain

I thought it was a gag photo !!!! mmmmm..... maybe it's used as an aid when backing the boat into a slip :-)?

#89705 - 03/25/09 10:08 PM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
Jersey Joe Offline

Loc: Brevard County, FL
I wish I took a picture of an underwater light installed on an old 32 Blackfin that was for sale that we looked at. The guy glassed in an 8" section of PVC pipe through the transom, then epoxied a clear Plexiglas lens at the end and stuffed a round car headlight into the PVC pipe. Scary stuff out there.

#89713 - 03/26/09 08:24 AM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
jawz Offline
Captain

I thought it was a gag photo !!!! mmmmm..... maybe it's used as an aid when backing the boat into a slip :-)?

hey bob ! good talking with you yesterday !!

i'll put up a few pictures of the bertram,launched,sea trialed and ready to roll....

if you guys seen half of the stuff i see on a regular basis you would write a book...

true story here...

i put an autopilot on a customer's boat,i take them out for the sea trial,to check the unit and expalin how it works to them-new boat owners.i explain,i interface the pilot into the navnet,set a waypoint,the pilot will follow it,by doing this...i explain,the pilot will run the boat,all you have to do,is make sure nothing's in the way between you and where you're headed...the owner states,the pilot won't steer around it idea?

i had a job from another glass shop,this shop attempted to make a 23 mako inboard into a 26' mako inboard,they added 3 feet to the boat,cut out the transom,"sistered" the stringers...i put a screwdriver through the boat,with minimal effort,needless to say,that boat was hauled to the dump...

again,trust me guys,i've seen some real good ones...

all time best-i was telling capt bob this yesterday...

seen a few guys who actually fiberglass coat a leaking aluminum fuel tank-then brag their repair is much better than new...

#89726 - 03/26/09 10:07 AM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: Retriever]
BOB J Offline
Captain

Retriever, I kinda thought that as well but could get same effect by looking over one's shoulder tho when I back into slip I face aft. It's just easier for me doing that.
Also thought it c/b used as a fish finder when anchored & viewing fish in chum slick behind boat???
Boat was heavily fished by condition of transom. "MANY" nicks in painted transom.....gaff or sinkers banging transom idea

#89727 - 03/26/09 10:10 AM Re: how not to install a transducer... [Re: jawz]
Retriever Offline
Captain

On the subject of AL gas tank leak repairs...
On another website that I haunt someone was telling about their AL gas tank leak fix...
Screw plate over the leak on the bottom using...brass screws and 3M sealant on the plate!

RE: Bert... sigh... reminds me of the Bert25 I/O softtop I lost in a divorce. Had just fixed some minor hull items, removed all the previous owners "improvements" cleaned up some wiring issues and was new engine/drive shopping.

BTW...Good talking to you yesterday

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
1 registered (Tuna Kahuna), 125 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33426 Topics
219137 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM