Calhoun87, dfallon47, zinisk, HewsDat, Dave willy
6803 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91828 - 04/23/09 01:16 PM Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
Wanted to post the details to the first annual garbagefish.com tournament. All details are here: http://www.garbagefish.com/tourny1.htm

There will be a total of 9 cash prizes as well as flags and t-shirts to every winner. Will be a lot of fun. I'm trying to get a bunch of tackle shops on board for weigh stations so it's convenient for everyone. So far we've got some great shops set up. It's open to both boaters and surf fishermen and will run 10 days so everyone will get a chance to get out there. Check out the details.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#91833 - 04/23/09 02:14 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: garbagefish.com]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

Loc: new jersey
Sounds like a good time. Will definately be registering

President barack hussein obama on new rules of engagment.

#91879 - 04/23/09 11:39 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: usmc1]
FishinHardWater Offline
Instructor

Loc: playing in the sand
you know whats gonna happen, idea we're all gonna catch keeper fluke and no searobins! cool

i know where big searobins are in raritan bay. am i allowed to fish anywhere? it says puddle boat surf bridge pond ect. was wondering if u had a range

Edited by FishinHardWater (04/23/09 11:44 PM)

#91884 - 04/24/09 07:03 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: FishinHardWater]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

That sounds like a good problem to have.

Regarding range - no range - you just have to weigh it in at one of the official weigh stations. I don't know any places up that way to set up as a weigh station. Any thoughts?

Brian
garbagefish.com

#91894 - 04/24/09 08:55 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: garbagefish.com]
czn Offline

Loc: Barnegat & Middlesex, NJ
If you fish on multiple days and each day you catch a fish that is bigger than the one you submitted on a previous day can you submit the bigger fish?

#91897 - 04/24/09 09:08 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: FishinHardWater]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: FishinHardWater
you know whats gonna happen, idea we're all gonna catch keeper fluke and no searobins! cool

i know where big searobins are in raritan bay. am i allowed to fish anywhere? it says puddle boat surf bridge pond ect. was wondering if u had a range

HAHA, i will be happy either way. But your probly right

#91910 - 04/24/09 11:36 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: usmc1]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

I don't see why not. We definately are encouraging everyone to use these fish though. I spoke with an owner of a shop down on Long Beach Island and one of his concerns was that people would come in, have the fish weighed and then throw it in the dumpster. He says that happens a lot with blue fish weigh ins and while there's nothing you can really do about it, it bums him out. He primarily gets that during the long tournaments from the surf.

So, if you do submit multiple weigh ins or just one, we hope that you will give one of the recipes a try. If you haven't eaten these fish yet, you'll really be surprised.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#91911 - 04/24/09 11:37 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: garbagefish.com]
Sean Offline
Commander

Loc: Lincoln Park and Bayville
Instead of throwing the fish away....give it to me!

#91914 - 04/24/09 11:56 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Sean]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

I eat everything

#91933 - 04/24/09 05:45 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: usmc1]
Lacey Marine Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Forked River, NJ
Brian, I hear you. Many, many times when people weigh fish in at the shop they just have it in a bucket in the back of their truck right out in the sun. It's tough knowing that it's just probably going to end up in a lagoon somewhere. We also have many guys who take care of their catch and eat it. Please take care of your catches guys and only take what you can eat.
Make sure to like our Facebook page

WE ARE A DEALER FOR ALL MAJOR ELECTRONICS, WE WILL MATCH ANY PRICE! PM ME FOR MORE DETAILS!

#91935 - 04/24/09 05:47 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: usmc1]
Lacey Marine Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Forked River, NJ
Originally Posted By: usmc1
I eat everything

Even all that seaweed Sean is always talking about? grin
Make sure to like our Facebook page

WE ARE A DEALER FOR ALL MAJOR ELECTRONICS, WE WILL MATCH ANY PRICE! PM ME FOR MORE DETAILS!

#91942 - 04/24/09 08:38 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Lacey Marine]
Sean Offline
Commander

USMC1 won't touch a brussel sprout.

#91953 - 04/24/09 09:54 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Sean]
usmc1 Offline
Captain

Yes key words, only keep what you can eat. This way people like myself have a chance of catching just one

#92181 - 04/28/09 11:38 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: usmc1]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Got a bunch of bait shops lined up for weighin stations. You can see them in the tournament section at http://www.garbagefish.com

Owners have been extremely receptive to it and are looking forward to it. One owner cringed at the thought of having to weigh in skates. His exact words were, "I'm not peeing on my employees hands if they get stung. I'll pee on my hand, but nobody elses." Personally, I feel the same way. His point is, skates have these very small spines on their backs and if while cleaning one (as I've done) you get stuck - it hurts really, really bad. There is a venom in them. Not gonna kill ya, but it feels like a bee sting. Similar to jellyfish, I guess you can pee on it or pour vinegar on it and it will kill the pain. I've never done this, but I've always wondered if you simply instead of thinking about the pain, you are thinking of how nasty it is getting peed on? Not sure, but be careful when handling the skate.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#92183 - 04/28/09 11:40 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: garbagefish.com]
Sean Offline
Commander

I would be happy to donate baseball bats to knock out the skates before bringing them aboard.

#92580 - 05/02/09 01:11 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Sean]
Applejacks Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Barnegat, NJ
Sean, great idea!!! mini bats with garbagefish on it!!! I am gonna tell my buddies about it and hopefully we'll have a bunch of guys sign up!!

#92582 - 05/02/09 01:19 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Applejacks]
Sean Offline
Commander

Cool......looking over at my discount rack, I got about 20 bats I would be happy to donate.

#92721 - 05/04/09 05:06 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Sean]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Sean,

I thought you were kidding about the bats. If you are serious, let me know. I could have them picked up and give them out as prizes - and add you to the site as a sponsor. I figure with a garbage fish sticker on the bat they'll look pretty cool. I Might catch agg. from the fish huggers but it's all in fun. Thanks.

brian
garbagefish.com

#92739 - 05/04/09 10:27 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: garbagefish.com]
Sean Offline
Commander

How many do you want?

#93845 - 05/13/09 05:13 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Sean]
Paint Offline
Captain

Loc: Bayville
I once hit a blowfish in full PUFF out of the ball park..

J/K to any fish huggers anyway no real need to take a bat to a Garbage fish. learn how to handle them IMO. See my post "Sea Robins can be fun"

Edited by Paint (05/13/09 05:15 PM)

#93846 - 05/13/09 05:37 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Paint]
Retriever Offline
Captain

Loc: Island Heights, NJ
Blowfish aren't a garbage fish. They are very tasty although a bit "different" to clean. Back in the late 60s they were selling in the supermarkets at a fairly high price.
Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders, Seaside Park, NJ

#93908 - 05/14/09 07:09 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Retriever]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Yeah - I don't put blowfish in the garbage category either but again, the ones I do are very tasty too. I believe blowfish was marketed as sea squab.

brian
garbagefish.com

#93933 - 05/14/09 11:14 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: garbagefish.com]
Retriever Offline
Captain

Yep...that's it "sea squab" could not remember. My mother and grandmother (who was from Italy) really liked them. Would always ask when was I going to get them some more. Such a drag...having your mother and grandmother tell you to go fishing :-)

One day back in the late 60's my buddy and I found a pod of them off of Bayville and actually ran out of bait (squid)... In desperation I found a thick white rubber band from the post office in my pocket. I cut it in two and rigged it and we kept on catching them, although the bite was not quite as hot.

#93943 - 05/14/09 11:36 AM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Retriever]
Jersey Joe Offline

Loc: Brevard County, FL
Originally Posted By: Retriever
...In desperation I found a thick white rubber band from the post office in my pocket. I cut it in two and rigged it and we kept on catching them, although the bite was not quite as hot.

Works for finicky winter flounder too! wink Mimics a clam ribbon and is an old mate's trick when there is always that one fare that complains there are no flounder there. The look on the fare's face is always priceless when the mate catches a fish on a rubber band.

Edited by Jersey Joe (05/14/09 11:37 AM)

Member/Supporter: NJOA
Member/Supporter: JCAA
Member: Jersey Coast Shark Anglers
Fish Tagger: ALS

#93955 - 05/14/09 01:03 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Jersey Joe]
Retriever Offline
Captain

The funny thing is, that winter I was bored one day and submitted that "tip" to SWS. They declined to publish it saying they thought it was a gag. I always wondered what they thought about the first reports on the use of plastic worms.

#93967 - 05/14/09 02:43 PM Re: Garbage Fish Tournament Details Announced [Re: Retriever]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

You should have heard the reply when I sumbmitted a garbage fish press release.

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
11/4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6803 Members
70 Forums
33412 Topics
219063 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM