6807 Registered Users
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89975 - 03/30/09 04:42 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Jersey Joe]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River
I agree with Joe. I have no idea where the claim to this rumor started but the skate wing meat is striated and I have no clue how this could be passed off as a sea scallop or bay scallop. When you pull a part a scallop - cooked - it does segment or striate but not like a skate. It's a completely different look and feel in both taste and texture. It's a very popular rumor that they are used as scallop but I can't see how it's possible. I cook the meat on the cartiledge, much like you'd cook a whole trout because fileting the fish would sacrifice a lot of meat - and once cooked, it comes right off. Difference is, the cartiledge doesn't come off and try to kill you.

Anyway, you'd have to have a monster skate to even duplicate the size of a scallop. I've never believed that myth. Still, if it's true, more power to them and I'm wrong and who cares? Pass the beer nuts.

By the way - Retriever, I totally agree with you about blue fish. Those small blues that come into the bay and hang from mid spring through much of summer are delicious. They get a bad rap in terms of taste. Cleaned properly and cooked up almost any way...awesome. No doubt. Especially the early guys that are feeding on a lot of shrimp - before the oily baits get very prolific. You are what you eat and shrimp are good! Still, I have a recipe on my site for fried spearing so go figure.

brian
garbagefish.com

#90025 - 03/31/09 07:12 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
Reef Rat Offline
Sponsor

Loc: Toms River, USA
I'm with you guys on the smaller blues. We eat them all summer long and my kids actually prefer them to some of the more "desired" species. We usually prepare them with a little butter, fresh herbs, lemon and a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and bake in the oven...John

#90671 - 04/08/09 01:59 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Reef Rat]
Jilm Bass Offline

Loc: Waretown, NJ
Just throwing my two cents in...I think the tape measure would be the best way to go. It worked really well for the Brownie Troop Sh*t Fish Derby last year. The margin of error is slim and if it came down to it, you could figure the length out pretty acurately based on a picture. I'm sure by now, most everyone has some sort of digital picture taking device whether its on their cell phone or point and shoot camera. It's about time New Jersey shows it's tried and true with a Garbage Fish Tournament! Thanks Brian.

#90711 - 04/09/09 08:20 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: Jilm Bass]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

I like both ideas - tape measure and weigh ins. But I think to keep out any controversy, we are going to go with the weighins. If that doesn't work out, next year we'll go to tape measures.
brian
garbagefish.com

#96192 - 06/04/09 12:55 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Getting a good amount of signups via the participating bait shops and online through the website. (garbagefish.com) I've decided, as per a good suggestion from Roger at fishbonz bait and tackle in Forked River to set up a regularly updated leader board. The tourny starts July 17th and runs through the 26th of July (2009) but you can check each day and get an idea of what is placing - that way you don't necesarrily have to kill a fish that won't place. Not to say that you can't keep it and enjoy it for the table.

This is going to be a fun tourny.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#96194 - 06/04/09 01:02 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
FishinHardWater Offline
Instructor

Loc: playing in the sand
what shops are a weigh station so far?

#96196 - 06/04/09 01:04 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: FishinHardWater]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

sorry. you can see the weigh stations at http://www.garbagefish.com/weighstations.htm

Brian
garbagefish.com

#97368 - 06/16/09 11:13 AM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Only one month left til the first Garbage Fish Trash tourny. 9 total cash prizes - and lots of merchandise prizes. Tourny runs 10 days with weigh stations all over the place. All details are on the site. You can sign up easily on the website http://www.garbagefish.com - or see locations where you can also sign up. (also listed at the site) Tournament runs 10 days so you have 10 full days to catch a trophy garbage fish and win some dough.

Brian
garbagefish.com

#97377 - 06/16/09 12:15 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: garbagefish.com]
Jersey Joe Offline

Loc: Brevard County, FL
We talked about it this weekend, we will be fishing it! Although we have not had a lot of 'garbage fish' yet this year. Only two small smooth dogs, two sea robins and four tiny skates. Guess we need to start honing our skills. Guess I will have to make a custom chrome spinner blade daisy chain to deadstick for monster skates!

#97380 - 06/16/09 12:24 PM Re: Tournament? [Re: Jersey Joe]
garbagefish.com Offline
Captain

Nice, Joe. Glad to hear you're on board. No shortage of skates down this way and you know the Searobin bite is going to be heating up soon. Ha ha.

Brian
garbagefish.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
2 registered (Alexm225, Mich), 85 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33428 Topics
219144 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM