111, TBTFW, Calhoun87, dfallon47, zinisk
6805 Registered Users
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96623 - 06/09/09 09:35 AM running in the fog
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
i took a well deserved day off yesterday,did a little fishin' on the bertram with some buddies.fog was thick yesterday,and i mean real thick !!
now,being a vetran of running in the dark and the fog,using radar,i got no problems heading out.the problems begin when there's the guys who have absolutley no experience,these guys are out in the fog,no radar,and they're running blind...what are people thinking idea? running through the harbor yesterday,on the way to the inlet,i had small boat guys just zig zaging around the channel idea? this is a danger to other boats-what i'm saying is,if you're not sure how to operate the boat,than please,pick another day to go out,why risk it for yourself and others.and last point,drifting in the channel,coat guard rules clearly state,a boat should not impede passage of a narrow channel or farway
remember this when you're drifting through a narrow channel...

#96890 - 06/11/09 09:41 AM Re: running in the fog [Re: jawz]
jawz Offline
Captain

47 views and no replies idea??

#96891 - 06/11/09 09:44 AM Re: running in the fog [Re: jawz]
FishinHardWater Offline
Instructor

Loc: playing in the sand
some people do stupid stuff, they take their boaters safety class and think they are a captain shaky

#96892 - 06/11/09 09:45 AM Re: running in the fog [Re: FishinHardWater]
FishinHardWater Offline
Instructor

Loc: playing in the sand
did you see him with your eyes zig zagging or did u see him on radar doing that, he probably couldnt find the markers crazy

Originally Posted By: jawz
i had small boat guys just zig zaging around the channel idea? this is a danger to other boats

#96968 - 06/11/09 08:11 PM Re: running in the fog [Re: FishinHardWater]
jawz Offline
Captain

watched him on radar-one side of the channel to the other...i actually stopped,and sounded the horn ...

#96975 - 06/11/09 08:39 PM Re: running in the fog [Re: jawz]
ReelTime Offline

Loc: Toms River
Last fall while idleing along the beach in early HEAVY fog I heard at least 5 0r 6 boats flying past me.. Couldn't see a thing, finally I made something out in front of me and it turned out to be a guy in a kayak fishing a few hundred yards off the beach. I don't know what some people think, I barely saw the guy in the yak and I was idling along. If one of those other boats would have been on my course they would have run this guy over.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#99062 - 07/05/09 07:43 PM Re: running in the fog [Re: ReelTime]
Grog Offline

Loc: Manasquan, NJ
I wonder if the horn made him fill his pants or if he was oblivious.

I went out in decent fog last year and seeing how others handled the fog I'll probably sit it out next time. Most didn't have radar and were going relatively fast relying on the GPS only. Another guy who didn't have radar lost his GPS. As an added bonus, the party boats were going their normal speed (if you didn't have radar you wouldn't know where they were). It's one thing to have right of way but it's another to be an :xxx:.

Guess what's in the picture taken that day:

a train

Edited by Grog (07/05/09 07:45 PM)

#99066 - 07/05/09 09:25 PM Re: running in the fog [Re: Grog]
kimannjo Offline
Captain

Loc: southampton
did the train blow the horn. lol i bet he didnt zig zag.. I had a guy almost run me over from behind.. his reason was, he was following the wake of my boat, he knew I had radar, but he didnt know I stopped. Let alone where i was going,, from,, people are so stoopid sometimes. joe

#99087 - 07/06/09 08:57 AM Re: running in the fog [Re: kimannjo]
jawz Offline
Captain

these are reasons a license should be required to operate a boat.some of the stuff i see is really scary,running in the fog,running at nite-it scares me to death some times.
you gotta be defensive when it comes to operating your boat,be careful,you don't know what the other guy is gonna do-protect yourself...

BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
1 registered (Bar Hopper), 143 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6805 Members
70 Forums
33423 Topics
219127 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM