Rate This Topic
HPIM1307 (Small).JPG
deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster jawz Offline
Posted 01/15/10 08:43 PM
Description
deck on the lobstah boat had a few soft spots...so...being how i do things the hard way...i went ahead and started pulling the deck for replacement...

the timbers under the deck are all in great shape-you can see the ribs in the boat now,these too appear to be in great condition...
Dimensions 640x480
Size 47.41 KB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#116589 - 01/15/10 09:50 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Ocd Offline
First Mate

Loc: PA
Tear it up! I'm assuming thats a stack on the port, what are you going to do with it?

#116594 - 01/16/10 05:21 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Ocd]
fyker Offline

Loc: life long resident ocean count...
Nice BOAT!
Break
Out
Another
Thousand
best of luck with her

#116595 - 01/16/10 07:32 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: fyker]
take one Offline

Loc: mt holly. nj
your not kidding, those are some "timbers". with the engine up forward like that, how long is that shaft ?

#116599 - 01/16/10 08:27 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: take one]
SFC2113 Offline
Captain

Loc: Manahawkin, NJ
That is going to be a fun project, Like working on a piece of lobster boating history. Can't wait to see her passing old Barney.
Wish I could have time to do that. Or the money for that matter.

how many tubers ccan you pull with her?

just kidding ,lol.

How long before she is back in action.

Edited by SFC2113 (01/16/10 08:31 AM)

#116600 - 01/16/10 09:20 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: SFC2113]
jawz Offline
Captain

Loc: cape may nj
dry stack is gonna stay where it is...a "wave wall" is going to be built on the port side-it extands the "house" to meet the end of the top...

didn't measure the shaft...not sure...

remember these pictures,when someone says" i have a soft spot on my deck"...if you have a soft spot,you've got a problem.there's no such thing as a product that will "rebuild rotted wood",products like "git rot" and stuff like that are a waste of money-kinda like startron for fuel...

#116611 - 01/16/10 07:51 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Jersey Girl Offline
Captain

Loc: FORKED RIVER NJ
Jim, Good luck with your project...It has to be a "Labor of Love"...Quit writing and just get the work finished....lol
"Jersey Girl"

#116614 - 01/16/10 11:18 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Jersey Girl]
cdwood Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton/LBI
Classic boat there Jim, Certainly worth restoring whatever it needs. Curious about your intentions. Do you see this as a boat for personal use or:

A classic worth giving whatever it needs.

Bringing it back "better than new".

Based on alot of your posts, this boat does not appear to be a quick ride to the places you fish.

TIME ON THE WATER IS TIME WELL SPENT.

#116620 - 01/16/10 11:33 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: cdwood]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: cdwood
Classic boat there Jim, Certainly worth restoring whatever it needs. Curious about your intentions. Do you see this as a boat for personal use or:

A classic worth giving whatever it needs.

Bringing it back "better than new".

Based on alot of your posts, this boat does not appear to be a quick ride to the places you fish.

well...contrary to what other's believe or percieve about me...i'm a very "old school" kinda guy..."do what i say,say what i do"...get it idea
an old school lobster boat is what it is...a classic...a timeless classic...when you have the experience i do-no disrespect intended,you'll understand...
you're pushing a grady white,right.old grady,had a rotted out transom,right.fuel tanks wasted,terrible electrical system,nylon thru hulls that break,whole deal,right...i missed no parts,did i ? get what i'm saying here ? it's called "knowing what you're talking about"...this is what i do for a living,i know boats...i know what works and what doesn't...take for example the grady you're running.that boat,no matter what anyone says,will beat you to death in any kind of sea,just like any other grady made,just like any other boat with a modified v hull will.attempting to run that boat offshore in any kind of weather other than,dead flat "bermuda high" conditions,will result in a looong day...this lobster boat i got,well,the design of these has been around for a long time,used by guys who earn their living by going to sea every day,regardless of weather conditions.that's the reason i went with an old school lobster boat like this...and yes,i did not sell my sea craft,classic potter built 23 center console,nor would i...if i need to get offshore in a hurry,i'll easily drop this in the water and roll...

perhaps,you'll want to take a ride on this idea

#116622 - 01/17/10 12:08 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
cdwood Offline
Captain

Loc: Hamilton/LBI
Jimmy, as you know, I've always taken what you offered to the extent. Transom was done based on all your input, fuel tank and all wood replaced, all electric redone and all thru hulls replaced. Everything you have found fault with I have addressed, and I thank you for that.

For what it's worth the decks have been recored, original fuse box replaced with blueseas c/b's.

sorry if you feel that I'm one those GG guys that you had issues with.

not for nothin' but your memory's not failin' you.

TIME ON THE WATER IS TIME WELL SPENT.

#116623 - 01/17/10 12:22 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: cdwood]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: cdwood
Jimmy, as you know, I've always taken what you offered to the extent. Transom was done based on all your input, fuel tank and all wood replaced, all electric redone and all thru hulls replaced. Everything you have found fault with I have addressed, and I thank you for that.

For what it's worth the decks have been recored, original fuse box replaced with blueseas c/b's.

sorry if you feel that I'm one those GG guys that you had issues with.

not for nothin' but your memory's not failin' you.

not sure what you're saying here...i'm confused idea

you asked me why a lobster boat,i expalined why...and yes,you're correct,my memory,as well as my eyesight is certainly not failing me...
i'm glad the advice i've given to you,as well as others,has paid off for you...

#116629 - 01/17/10 11:32 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Capt. Paul Offline

Loc: Bordentown/Waretown N.J.
Jim,
Always enjoyed your opinions, advice and thoughts. Why did you pick a Novi. I have been looking for a 28 BHM. You are right about the New England lobster boat ride. Slow or not they can do their cruise no matter what. I used to have a 36 Harris. All the hard work will shore pay off. GOOD LUCK with her.
100 ton Master License

#116632 - 01/17/10 11:52 AM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Capt. Paul]
jawz Offline
Captain

those BHM boats are very nice.i looked at a 36 BHM,volvo powered.i purchased this rig,due to a customer i had,he had a rig similar to this one,he was a commercial fisherman,he "conched" and had a day scallop rig on it.same power in his as well.
i got this,to see if i can fish a rig like this.i chose this one,and my thought is simple,i do a little work to it,get it sorted out,and fish it...if i decide this style isn't for me,then i can easily sell it-i didn't lose my shirt on the deal...follow what i'm saying idea
projects like this are a double edged sword.alot of guys make the mistake of believing their skill level is much higher than what it truly is,they get in over their head...i see it all the time...

#116634 - 01/17/10 12:11 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Capt. Paul Offline

I know my skill level. I need to find one that does not need much work. Your right you need to know your limits. I dont do fiberglass. Are you in a marina or stand alone shop?
100 ton Master License

#116635 - 01/17/10 12:17 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Capt. Paul]
jawz Offline
Captain

stand alone shop,well hidden too...

#116637 - 01/17/10 12:27 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Capt. Paul Offline

I would like to see what you are doing to the Novi. Not a fan of GW's huh.
100 ton Master License

#116639 - 01/17/10 12:29 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
jawz Offline
Captain

this is that 36 BHM i looked at....i thought it had a volvo in it...it's cat powered...

http://www.yachtworld.com/privatelabel/l...m=pp253883&

lot of good deals out there now...check the noreast.com site...

#116640 - 01/17/10 01:21 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Capt. Paul]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: Capt. Paul
I would like to see what you are doing to the Novi. Not a fan of GW's huh.

you're more than welcomed to stop on down to see it...allways call first...

"not a fan of GW's"...that's a loaded question...most owners of GRADY WHITE boats have unrealistic perceptions,they truly believe what was marketed to them.i have extensive experience with rebuild and repairing those boats,both older and newer boats,i can tell you what goes bad,and why,i can tell you what you're gonna find when you go look at one,and i can tell you what's gonna fail.these are hands down,the most repaired boat in my shop.probably the most over rated,over priced boat on the market today...i get a "bad rap" from grady owners,favorite experession is "grady basher"-kinda gay huh truth is,people don't like hearing the truth,people do not want to believe they spent alot of money on a very substandard product,trust me,i could spend hours here typing blatant disregard for ABYC codes on those boats...so,yeah,i'm not a fan,i'm not a fan of alot of mfg's,wellcraft,is another one,sea fox,angler,are also on the list...it's not just gradys...

#116650 - 01/17/10 04:38 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
WillPower2 Offline

Loc: Looking for a marina in barnag...
i have a 89 grady with 5000 hrs on it. its been re powered only one time.I try to take the best care of it i can,I dont have alot of money due to my alamoney .I do have a problem with changeing a thru hull fitting on the port side. It must of been installed when the deck was off.it has to be changed out.maybe I'll give you a call for a price.Even thou you dont like GW I like your honeasty

#116652 - 01/17/10 04:41 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
czn Offline

Loc: Barnegat & Middlesex, NJ
Hey Jim. I have a 2001 Grady 20 ft Adventure. No problems that I am aware of but I would like to know what I should be looking for before I launch again in the Spring. Thanks for your input.

#116659 - 01/17/10 07:22 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: WillPower2]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: WillPower2
i have a 89 grady with 5000 hrs on it. its been re powered only one time.I try to take the best care of it i can,I dont have alot of money due to my alamoney .I do have a problem with changeing a thru hull fitting on the port side. It must of been installed when the deck was off.it has to be changed out.maybe I'll give you a call for a price.Even thou you dont like GW I like your honeasty

if thast's the only thru hull you're changing,you're asking for trouble-all of them are nylon,they're gonna break...check the scupper hoses on the cockpit drains-these are probably shot too...decks soft yet idea? fuel tanks idea take a look under the gunnel,stbd side,look at the fuel fill hose...
i never stated i didn't like grady...i stated they're very over rated and very over priced...

#116660 - 01/17/10 07:24 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: czn]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: czn
Hey Jim. I have a 2001 Grady 20 ft Adventure. No problems that I am aware of but I would like to know what I should be looking for before I launch again in the Spring. Thanks for your input.

that year,'01,you're getting close to a fuel system failure-fuel tank...take a good look at the fuel fill hose...
take a real good look at the drain hoses...

#116692 - 01/18/10 02:31 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Tuna Troller Offline
First Mate

Loc: Rahway/Waretown
Jim, we've ran a 92' 24 ft Grady for about 1400 hrs and had no major issues other than an ocassional through hole replacement (nylon) because of the "what if" factor with having her in the water for sometimes a month at a time not seeing her. We did re-wire the power to the electronics, as the original wiring was sub-par, but really the electrical systems on most boats these days are awful anyway and the only way to fix it is to spend the time on them yourself.

Our current rig, an 06' Grady has been problem free for us including electrical.

BTW ALL Grady's went to Bronze in 98' Chrome over Bronze through hulls by 00' and then to stainless in 06'.

We are, atleast for the time being, proud Grady owners.

#116698 - 01/18/10 03:46 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Tuna Troller]
czn Offline

Loc: Barnegat & Middlesex, NJ
Jim, thanks for the response.

#116704 - 01/18/10 04:14 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: Tuna Troller]
jawz Offline
Captain

Originally Posted By: Tuna Troller
Jim, we've ran a 92' 24 ft Grady for about 1400 hrs and had no major issues other than an ocassional through hole replacement (nylon) because of the "what if" factor with having her in the water for sometimes a month at a time not seeing her. We did re-wire the power to the electronics, as the original wiring was sub-par, but really the electrical systems on most boats these days are awful anyway and the only way to fix it is to spend the time on them yourself.

Our current rig, an 06' Grady has been problem free for us including electrical.

BTW ALL Grady's went to Bronze in 98' Chrome over Bronze through hulls by 00' and then to stainless in 06'.

We are, atleast for the time being, proud Grady owners.

i've replaced nylon thru hulls on '98 models...one such,is a 22 center console,it's currently stored with me for the season-he's a regular customer...

the electrical systems on some boats,these are indeed terrible,and yes,you're correct,grady white is one of them.fortunatley,that's not the case with all manufactures,contender,as an example,their systems are excellent-tinned marine grade wire too...

if you're happy with your choice in a boat,that's what counts-if it works for you,then,have at it.
i never stated i didn't like the gradys. what i've stated is their over rated,and over priced,terrible ride too,but this isn't limited to gradys.the grady construction techniques leave alot to be desired.example,the fuel tanks support the decks-against CFR,but,they still do it...the factory still has a hard time sealing things properly,the wide beamed models,there were quite a few that went back to the factory for problems with their balsa coring...the gradys now use xl green wood,the warranty covers replacement,for dry rotting,not delamination from water intrusion...take a look at the boats,the transom are still,to this day,not completley sealed from water intrsuion...again, a very over rated product,granted the factory will bend over backwards to take care of you,they should for charging what they do for a sub standard product...

#116709 - 01/18/10 04:33 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
pogybait Offline
Captain

Loc: Mystic Island Nj
Jimmy ,can you give a run down on the material you will be using to do the Deck after takeing care of the wood. Like how many layers of Glass and what kind.What number West Marine Epoxy.Thank you.

I will keep my Guns,my Freedom and Money.You keep the Change

Semper Fi

#116711 - 01/18/10 04:40 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: pogybait]
jawz Offline
Captain

no problem...i'll take a few pictures of the materials when i'm putting it together...

#116744 - 01/19/10 04:25 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
pogybait Offline
Captain

Loc: Mystic Island Nj
Good luck with her Jimmy.

I will keep my Guns,my Freedom and Money.You keep the Change

Semper Fi

#116747 - 01/19/10 05:21 PM Re: deck replacement on the "lobstah" boat [Re: jawz]
Graves Offline

Loc: Oldest Sea Port in America
What size is the timber on the inner floor structure, they look big like a 4x6, what thickness of Marine plywood are you putting down.

Moderator:  Capt. Bill, jim, JoeK, Victoria 
BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
2 registered (Tuna Kahuna, mrhotdogzz), 156 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33432 Topics
219155 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM