Topic Options
Rate This Topic
DSCN1104.JPG
Missed the Cut?
Image Details
Poster FinFan Offline
Posted 06/01/08 07:35 PM
Description
Saw this guy High and Dry, literally, Friday afternoon on the bar bewtween the cut through and the No-Wake zone.

And I though I was having a bad day 'cause I came home without any Stripers.

FinFan
Dimensions 1200x900
Size 747.92 KB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#61542 - 06/05/08 11:50 AM Re: Missed the Cut? [Re: loanfish]
John G. Offline

Loc: Waretown NJ
I grounded myself right there in front of the Coast Guard station many years ago. Just not paying attention so I guess I'm on that dummy list they have. Had to be towed off. I laughed at myself for doing it and feel bed for these guys when I see it. As long as no one gets hurt it is funny.

#61566 - 06/05/08 03:59 PM Re: Missed the Cut? [Re: John G.]
nitewefish Offline

Loc: Browns mills nj
hey most of us have done that once or twice over the years. down in little egg harbour and great bay there are many places to clean the growth off the bottoms of your hulls. if you are uncertain it is wise to hang back and let those weekend boaters show you where not to go. but down in great bay a couple of seasons ago we watched three large boats follow each other onto the giant sandbar accross from capt. mikes marina.they must have been on their cell phones or something. another time we saw newbies in a rental garvey drive right up to a clammer who was ankle deep and run aground. to his credit he let them know to stay between the red and green markers and not to go between two markers of the same color . hey we all had to learn sometime. tony

#61626 - 06/06/08 05:45 PM Re: Missed the Cut? [Re: loanfish]
RT1 Offline

Loc: Phila & Tuckerton
eek As Forrest Gump would say, stupid is as stupid does. Hammer

#61635 - 06/06/08 07:42 PM Re: Missed the Cut? [Re: RT1]
Fisher Moose Offline
Captain

Loc: Forked River, NJ
Hey Nitewfish, I tried following someone through a differnt cut last year. He had a about a 28' cabin-cruiser and he went right through on plane. I followed him (also on plane) and got 3/4 of way through when I hit sand with the prop. As soon as I slowed down I came off plane and then I was screwed. All 3 of us had to get out and push it because the tide was going out and we had maybe 20 minutes before we would become landscape.

We just made it. From now I feel my through SLOWLY in new skinny water. While the tide is coming in if possible.

#61759 - 06/09/08 10:13 AM Re: Missed the Cut? [Re: loanfish]
JoeK Offline
Moderator/Link Master

Loc: Forked River, NJ
Aww, no problem. It's just a low tide......

#63238 - 06/27/08 11:27 AM Re: Missed the Cut? [Re: JoeK]
TRSTEVENJ Offline

Loc: Toms River NJ
I passed one of the sea tow boats on father's day morning I think because I got my head twisted up and thought I was on the wrong side of the red marker. We were both going slow but i did pass him 10 feet starboard to starboard. We were close enough for me to say I'm sorry. First time I ever did something like that. In retrospect I'm sure it's because I wasn't looking at my chartplotter. I always leave my plot trail enabled. Hey, on that same day I got cut off at high speed going out of the inlet by a boat that flew across the submerged jetty; now thats a potentially bigger problem then we're viewing above.
Be safe and good luck everyone.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Capt. Bill, jim, JoeK, Victoria 
BFH News
We Support
Latest Gallery Posts
Black Drum
11/26 Stripers
Black Friday 2023
Who's Online
1 registered (timing), 234 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
6807 Members
70 Forums
33428 Topics
219145 Posts

Max Online: 469 @ 02/02/24 04:00 PM