I have thought long and hard on this question. I have gone over dozens of scenarios and possible solutions trying to answer this question and not create more. Unfortunately I don’t think there is one perfect solution. The intent of this tournament is fun, camaraderie, friendly competition and bragging rights among the members. You cannot prepare for every conceivable scenario, nor can you police every aspect of an open tournament format as this. In keeping with the spirit of this community and yearlong tournament I have come up with what I think is the best possible solution. At this time this is only a suggestion and I would like the input of those who have entered, who intend to enter and who may be on the fence about entering. Depending on the final changes those who have already paid to enter will be able to change their entry type or be entitled to a full refund if they wish to withdraw from the tournament.

I think creating two entry types would best accommodate the membership base as well as facilitate greater participation. I am proposing the creation of two options for registration. One for individuals, geared toward those who many not have a boat and fish from surf, jetty, kayak or shore. And a second for the member who has his own boat. The fees would be different to cover additional anglers that may be present on the boat that is registered in the tournament.

Individual Member Entry: $85
For the surf, jetty, kayak, charter and party boat fisherman. This entry is intended for the member without his or her own boat.

Member Boat Entry: $125
For the boat fisherman. This entry is intended for the member with his or her own boat. This will allow for fish caught by any angler aboard the registered boat to be entered into the tournament.

A Member’s Boat entry also entitles the boat owner/member to fish individually from surf, jetty, kayak, shore, other boat, charter or party boat.

The boat entry is not intended for use by charter boats while for hire. Example, a charter boat registering in the tournament to weigh a fish caught by one of the fares while operating for hire. A charter boat owner/member is allowed to enter for trips when fishing themselves recreationally, when not for hire.

There will still be the optional shark and tuna categories offered at an additional entry fee of $15 each.

ADDITIONAL RULES:
Angler’s name must appear on the weigh slip.

If fishing from surf, jetty or shore you must be within the boundaries of the state of NJ.

If fishing from a private boat, charter or party boat you must leave from and return to a NJ port.

If fishing from a kayak you must launch from and return to the state of NJ.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this and I am trying to make it as fair as possible for all members.

Thank you,
Joe