Originally Posted By: Retriever
re: "crimp them due to them being 20 or 22 AWG wires."

Crimps for 20 and 22 AWG wires are readily available, but not in many marine supply stores. It's pretty much an electronics wholesale item (or maybe Radio Shack...seems they have less and less "useful stuff" these days"). What I don't think you will find, although I've not done an exhaustive search, is the splicers with the built-in heat shrink sleeves at 22AWG.

After many years of using a soldering iron on a very regular basis in my work, I usually solder everything and don't use crimp splicers, ever. I cover all soldered splices with heat shrink tubing and have never had one fail even after many years in a marine environment.

I've found that the biggest problem folks have with soldering electonics is trying to use a cheap and/or underpowered iron for the job at hand and the wrong solder/flux.

it's not reccomended for the marine environment,to solder any connections...solder can and will fail due to the vibration subjected to the joint in the marine environment...i recall an installation,done by a customer,the gentleman gave up trying to find the problem with the set-it was a raymarine "c 120".the problem was,the set would lose a signal from the gps antenna,i looked at the set,ran a few tests and removed the split loom protecting case around the wiring.i discovered the gentleman soldered the connections-not good ! i redid all the connections,problem solved...the owner asked what i found,i explained to him,about the soldering and how it can and will break,which is what occured,his reply was"i've soldered connections on everything,i was told that was the correct way,and that was what i was taught"...also,a much better way of "splicing" small diameter wire such as that-is the use of a junction block...wires that small are usually used for interfacing,read that as feeding different electronics information,it's much easier to use a small loop connector on a junction block...connectors for those size wires are readily available,just not to the masses,the big name boating supply stores don't normally have the correct size crimp connectors,if they do have them,i don't believe they will be "tinned",meaning,they're not really for marine use,such as the ones radio shack carries...
cutting a transducer cable,like the one i showed,isn't really reccomended at any time !! the gentleman who owned that boat,made the claim he couldn't get the connector to pass through the rigging tube idea? the reason for cutting the cable...not sure why,it's a mako boat with a very large rigging tube,i had absolutley no problem...
like i stated,i've seen some big problems with some installations...it allways makes me say "what could you possibly be thinking"??? for more examples check the other thread "a real dual battery system"...