on this job,the dimensions of the deck will not allow a single piece to be used-the deck is wider than the cap...
to get full support all around,i add a 5" wide piece of 3/4" marine grade plywood,laminated and glassed over to the stringers and the bulkheads,this assures a full support on all the seams.after the ply wood is down,the seams are ground into a dish shape and these,along with the edges,are glassed with a biaxle cloth.after these areas kick,the rest of the deck is glassed,i use 3 layers of 1.5oz cloth...before the ply wood went down,it's epoxy coated on the back side.the reason i use epoxy is for waterproofing...believe it or not,polyester products are somewhat pourous,i don't use or reccomend polyester products.polyester products are the cheap products that have that whole styrene smell,there's no smell with epoxy,epoxy is also much more expensive and it takes longer to kick...anything that takes longer to kick,the bond is stronger.polyester resin over wood isn't the best approach.polyester based resins have a low absorbtion rate,meaning,it's gonna provide barley a surface bond.using epoxy based resins,it has a much better absorbtion rate...